• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

continue working on a fixed term contract without a signed extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
    Of course you have bargaining power. If they need you then you have some power - maybe not a lot though, only OP will know
    Keep going.. You've got him on the back foot. I think you can win this one.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Keep going.. You've got him on the back foot. I think you can win this one.
      Didn't realise it was a competition. DGAS if it is, it won't alter my argument

However, which has the stronger bargaining position: an employee you want to keep or an unemployed new job applicant needing a whole new FTC?

The correct answer is for the OP to get an extension to his existing FTC, but that does require some work from the employer. And the option of continuing to work still stands except that the existing FTC won't still be in effect, so it is not clear on what basis the OP will be working, which is why it's a bad idea to walk out and try to come back. It needs resolving before the FTC expires.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

continue working on a fixed term contract without a signed extension

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Didn't realise it was a competition. DGAS if it is, it won't alter my argument

However, which has the stronger bargaining position: an employee you want to keep or an unemployed new job applicant needing a whole new FTC?

The correct answer is for the OP to get an extension to his existing FTC, but that does require some work from the employer. And the option of continuing to work still stands except that the existing FTC won't still be in effect, so it is not clear on what basis the OP will be working, which is why it's a bad idea to walk out and try to come back. It needs resolving before the FTC expires.
        Why is it a bad idea to walk out and try and come back. Surely it's worse to work without a contract? Just because you've been working while out of contract is no guarantee for the business to extend your or even pay you.

In case no one has said this you should start looking for another role, if you get and don't want it then you have more leverage in your negotiations
        Last edited by VillageContractor; 20 February 2018, 11:44.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
          Surely it's worse to work with a contract?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Fixed

Comment

thank you all for your recommendations. I do agree that I don't want to work without a written contract. I will be polite and respectful but firm. I'll tell them I'll be happy to take a break between the end of this contract and the start of the new one should they need some time to get the new contract signed. I do understand there is a risk that they might choose to replace me, but:
              1) I take the risk (I have started looking elsewhere)
              2) I don't want to work without a contract because it puts in a very weak and uncomfortable position
              3) if i accept to work without a contract, they will probably jump to the conclusion that I am desperate, can't go anywhere... and they will probably think they can bully me as they wish

Comment

Working...
              X