• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which option ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which option ?

Hi,
    Which of these options (in your opinion) is best for me?
    I’ve been a contractor for 8years. Last year, I had my little girl - she is 9 months old now. I’m ready to return to work!
    The options I have are:

1. Perm Offer from one of the big4 consulting firms - 75k
    2. Contract offer of £450 pd from my previous client
    3. Contract offer of 425 pd from another consultancy

Would consulting mean definitely long hours? With my background in retail banking, I will end up working for one of their retail banking clients anyway. So the culture may not be that bad? I never saw people work late in any of the 3 banks I worked! Also, We plan to move to Canada in a few years (DH is Canadian) - I thought working in a consulting firm can make this transition easier for us (secondment options etc). I’m terrified at the prospect of long hours though. DH works in an Investment bank - he works long hours. So I have to pick up DD from the nursery.

My previous client was ok. Boring place - but had a lot of flexibility on some projects.

The other consultancy - I told them I need flexibility - they are ok with it.

Don't wish to be rude but how on earth would we know?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Winterdiva View Post
      Which of these options (in your opinion) is best for me?
      Your key requirement appears to be predictability and flexibility in your working schedule. Based on that alone, there seems to be only one option....

2. Contract offer of £450 pd from my previous client

Comment

@northernladuk

Ok, let me reframe the question

If you were in my place, which option would YOU choose?

Comment

2, as long as they can give you some flexibility. If not, 3.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

One more piece of info to add :

I had a call from CAPCO HR yesterday. They’d like to interview me for a position paying almost the same as the other (BIG4) offer. They are aware of my situation - I have multiple options and need to decide fast. They can fast track the process. You

Is it even worth considering? (Given my circumstances).

Comment

@northernladuk

Ok, let me reframe the question

I'd pick option 4. Write a book about how a bloke had a baby and live of the income from sales and live events.

But in the absence of any useful info and seems this is a contracting site I'd guess number 2.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 21 February 2018, 00:33.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Highest pay, work 9 months get 3 months free

Comment

Since you're looking for flexibility to take care of your baby's needs, I'd say go with your previous client. Even if the new client seems to be ok with it, you'll still need to prove yourself to them. You'd have more leverage over your previous client since you have passed that stage already.

Comment

Option 2.

Now what's my prize?

Comment

Working...
                    X