• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

part time/free lance work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Networking is horrid, I have to say. It always starts with "what do you do" a question I can never adequately answer. A top tip I was given was to describe what I'm currently doing and then expand with the other stuff.

Most of my contacts were drinking buddies at various ex-clients who I still see for a gossip every now and then. I don't do well in formal networking events and I'm fortunate my contacts worked their way up to positions of reasonable influence where their recommendations hold weight.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Networking is horrid, I have to say. It always starts with "what do you do" a question I can never adequately answer. A top tip I was given was to describe what I'm currently doing and then expand with the other stuff.

Most of my contacts were drinking buddies at various ex-clients who I still see for a gossip every now and then. I don't do well in formal networking events and I'm fortunate my contacts worked their way up to positions of reasonable influence where their recommendations hold weight.
      I actually really enjoy networking - there is of course some crap that goes along with it, but I use it as training more than anything else; I'm still trying to figure it out, but being able to describe what I do to non technical people and keep them engaged is a skill in itself that helps me day to day.

Case studies are the best way to explain yourself, but it's difficult to make the work sound exciting, or sell yourself as a valuable service to clients - especially when they're small. The bigger picture is of course referrals - I might not get any all year long, but all it takes is one to change my life.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

When they ask what you do you tell them you make their computers work better, for less money, add value to he business, and stop hem getting ripped off by con artists.
        You’ll get some business from that. How much depends on what you can add.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          When they ask what you do you tell them you make their computers work better, for less money, add value to he business, and stop hem getting ripped off by con artists.
          You’ll get some business from that. How much depends on what you can add.
          If that was what I did, that would be a great sales pitch!

But I get what you mean, it's something that could be applied in other ways.

Comment

Working...
          X