• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

part time/free lance work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

part time/free lance work

Hi all
    I am currently in a contract where the client realistically only needs me for 3 days a week. I was hoping to do some other work with the remaining 2 days. I dont want to leave the contract as it is a great opportunity and once the project is complete will look great on the CV but just need the extra income.
    Do you know any good sites for free lance work. Mostly in IT?
    I tried freelancer.com but haven't got much from it and tbh I don't want to pay the subscription fee (unless someone has used it and says its worth it???).

Cheers

Originally posted by wparkar View Post
    Hi all
    I am currently in a contract where the client realistically only needs me for 3 days a week. I was hoping to do some other work with the remaining 2 days. I dont want to leave the contract as it is a great opportunity and once the project is complete will look great on the CV but just need the extra income.
    Do you know any good sites for free lance work. Mostly in IT?
    I tried freelancer.com but haven't got much from it and tbh I don't want to pay the subscription fee (unless someone has used it and says its worth it???).

Cheers
    I hate it but one of the best ways to get extra work is to network. Local meetups etc may get you the odd contracts.

I'm sure there was a post on here a while back, one of the lads went through his experience on feelancer type websites.

From what I remember, even when he got into the knack of things he could only manage £100 pd.

Comment

PPH or Upwork might be worth a shot.

I needed some work doing that I didn't want to do and pitched it on PPH. Got lots of cheap offshore offers (£50 max) but chose someone who could demonstrate a track record, understood exactly what they were doing, and I paid them £300 for it in the end, so you might be able to pick up something there.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Are you saying you'll only be billing your client 3 days or you'll be billing them for a week and doing this on their time?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just as an aside, have you considered pitching to your client the idea of a retainer and/or increased your day rate for the three days? They still save money, but get the advantage of your time while making it financially feasible for you.

Depends on your relationship and how they view you of course. Remember there's a difference between an ultimatum and making a mutually beneficial arrangement!

Comment

I went down to 3 days a week with a client I had a few years ago. Best decision I ever made as the work-life balance was great.

I have been lucky to make contacts in companies where they have a more enlightened view of contractors (because the permies I've dealt with are ex freelancers) and understand that they don't need a body 5 days a week.

It is true that networking will get you those gigs as it's hard to find them on the usual job sites.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
              I hate it but one of the best ways to get extra work is to network. Local meetups etc may get you the odd contracts.
              This....

Local networking. Breakfast clubs. Plenty of companies want short term IT .
              You could even look to double the rate if you’re consulting/advising.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                This....

Local networking. Breakfast clubs. Plenty of companies want short term IT .
                You could even look to double the rate if you’re consulting/advising.
                Gotta say, I've been networking the hell out of my local area recently, and everyone just looks at me with glazed eyes when I explain what I do. I've had one referral - someone needed some photos taking off their fubarred NAS, but I provide software development services

Mind, I live in well known seaside town up North that isn't exactly a hub of technological advancement :\

I expect networking in larger towns and cities is a lot more fruitful.

Comment

Thanks for all the quick responses

@northernlad - Only billing them for the 3 days. Its a gig where I am writing up some business proposals for them. In a nutshell, it takes 3 days to write up and then 2 for them to review. While being reviewed I could come in and charge them but I would be sitting around twiddling my thumbs and the contract is for 75 days of work, so it is just wasted days.

Might sound like a stupid question but where do you network.

Comment

Originally posted by wparkar View Post
                    Might sound like a stupid question but where do you network.
                    Everywhere!!!!
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X