• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it acceptable to discuss rates with other contractors working at the same client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it acceptable to discuss rates with other contractors working at the same client?

If you are on good terms with other contractors is it normal to discuss what rates you are on for the same type of work you do for the same client?

I know it's a taboo to discuss salary for permie's but not sure if contractors are more transparent with each other.

It's a serious judgement call. Tread very very carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      It's a serious judgement call. Tread very very carefully.
      ^^ Absolutely this.

From past experience, permie or contractor, this usually ends up with trouble in one way or another. It's usually better to focus on whether you are happy with the rate you are on for the work you are doing.

Comment

Good terms or not, I try to avoid discussing rates. The main reason is motivation and how quickly it disappears if others are being rewarded more especially for the same work.

It's even worse when they're on a higher rate but are deliver 50% less

Comment

Originally posted by BryceJohnson View Post

If you are on good terms with other contractors is it normal to discuss what rates you are on for the same type of work you do for the same client?

I know it's a taboo to discuss salary for permie's but not sure if contractors are more transparent with each other.
          You won't be on good terms for long if someone is on a lot more than the other. If you find you are on less you are gonna be pissed off and can ruin what was a perfectly acceptable gig.

Unless you really think you are being screwed and need to check I'd avoid the topic at all costs.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Remember if you a LTD company what is agreed on between you and the agency is a financial agreement defined between 2 parties (Ltd and agency), 3rd parties have no say in the matter so no matter how hard you are pumped for information keep shtum and have a stock reply/answer that every contractor is responsible for their own finances & arrangements with the agency and end the conversation there.

I can give a cautionary tale of a past gig where a contractor (who to be fair was a near borderline sociopath) heard about rates given to him and others from the same agency from a colleague and raised almighty hell so he could get paid more by trying to drag other contractors name through the dirt with the agency and end client.

Morale of the story was that he was fired from the project but not before making sure his so-called-friends on the project bit the bullet for his actions.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCountryContractor View Post
              Remember if you a LTD company what is agreed on between you and the agency is a financial agreement defined between 2 parties (Ltd and agency), 3rd parties have no say in the matter so no matter how hard you are pumped for information keep shtum and have a stock reply/answer that every contractor is responsible for their own finances & arrangements with the agency and end the conversation there.

I can give a cautionary tale of a past gig where a contractor (who to be fair was a near borderline sociopath) heard about rates given to him and others from the same agency from a colleague and raised almighty hell so he could get paid more by trying to drag other contractors name through the dirt with the agency and end client.

Morale of the story was that he was fired from the project but not before making sure his so-called-friends on the project bit the bullet for his actions.
              Yep, no need to discuss.

Another contractor told me out the blue couple years ago, how happy he was with rate he was on, best he could get in the are etc. I just nodded along knowing I was on £30/day more through the same agency.

Comment

No, don't discuss it. Either you or the other contractors will end up unhappy, your, or their agents will then get dragged into it and the agent will then make a judgement call on whether the contractor is more valuable than the client.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by BryceJohnson View Post

One thing you should never do is this - either way one of you is likely to have their nose put out of joint.

Comment

What do you hope to gain? I don't care what other contractors are earning. I accepted a rate I was happy with and they did the same. If they're on more than me, good for them.

I know I quite often undervalue myself as I have many a time been asked what I want for a gig and immediately been given that rate with no quibbles and other times have had permie budget holders tell me I cost less than other contractors. But, at the end of the day, I get lots of repeat business, my bills are paid and I live a comfortable lifestyle. Knowing another contractor's rate is not going to make a blind bit of difference to any of that.

Comment

Working...
                    X