• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Termination - Client no longer requires, for any reason, Company Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Termination - Client no longer requires, for any reason, Company Services

Hi

I've been terminated without notice (one week as per terms) by Agency via very large client with the following feeble excuse :-

"The Client no longer requires, for any reason, the Company Services."

Yes these words are stated in contract & has been applied but effectively makes any contract/terms irrelevant if applied. I have not been given any verbal or written reasons why.

Thanks...

Originally posted by OwenDad View Post
    Hi

I've been terminated without notice (one week as per terms) by Agency via very large client with the following feeble excuse :-

"The Client no longer requires, for any reason, the Company Services."

Yes these words are stated in contract & has been applied but effectively makes any contract/terms irrelevant if applied. I have not been given any verbal or written reasons why.

Thanks...
    Great! Save it in your IR35 folder and move on.

They followed contractual terms, you’re a contractor - it happens.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Would a reason why make any difference whatsoever?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know it's hard but it works both ways. In my last contract, I had to sit down with the Project Manager and 'explain myself' while he was all hurt that I wanted to terminate the arrangement (the work and the location turned out to be completely different from what I had been contracted for plus other stuff that made it a pain).

There could be a million reasons, most likely nothing to do with the quality service you provided. Projects get pulled, finances rearranged, etc and you are the first person that will be notified.

Good luck with your next contract.

Comment

What are you looking for?? One week notice and payment? Some clients provide this and others do not. This is how contracting works. If we did not provide this flexibility we would not be attractive to the client. Just let this one go, find a new gig and make a new start.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Note that the client has terminated, unfortunately according the terms and conditions of most contracts there is nothing you can do, as opposed to an agency terminating when there is available work.

If you want to protect against this you need to ensure your contract stipulates compensation in the event of a client terminating. Consultancies often have this as a specific clause in their contract.

It is theoretically possible to sue on the basis that the agency should pay for the notice period regardless of the terms and conditions but in my opinion not worth it, i.e. move on.

The fact is most contracts stipulate you are only paid for work done at the client so even if the agency gives you one weeks notice because you're not doing anything there is nothing to bill. It's not the agent that is preventing you from working at the client.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 March 2018, 11:48.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

It sucks. Particuarly when you have moved country and just paid 3 months flat deposit in advance. As others have said, move on. Good luck in your search.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Would a reason why make any difference whatsoever?
                No it wouldn't make any difference, but I would want to know if it was me.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  No it wouldn't make any difference, but I would want to know if it was me.
                  I can understand that. I do find it a little difficult to believe the OP doesn't have an inkling why. Keeping your eyes and ears open on site can give hints about budget, work re-allocation and requirement for the contractor to be there. Also being honest with yourself as to whether you've over stepped the flirting or rubbed someone up the wrong way, even just a feeling your face doesn't fit.

The fact there was absolutely no reason given could indicate some issue the client or agent really doesn't want to get in to it. Budget or just no need for the contractor to be there is fairly straight forward and not difficult feedback to give. Other reasons might just be easier to avoid.

I find it difficult to see there wasn't a situation you could have seen it or understood why.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by OwenDad View Post
                    I've been terminated without notice (one week as per terms) by Agency via very large client
                    If this is indeed correct, and not that OP is confusing his notice period to the agency when he talks about one week notice, then the agency is in breach of contract.

Start legal proceedings against them immediately.

Or, chalk it up to experience and when the shoe is on the other foot, and you're looking to ditch a contract yourself at short notice, recall this experience and remember just how much "loyalty" the agency/client has shown you.

Comment

Working...
                    X