• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Basic Tools Director Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Tools Director Question

Does anyone use the Basic Tools Software as I need to check something - getting conflicting info from HMRC.

Ltd company was started 03/01/17 but due to change in circumstances wasn't used until 01/08/17 (filed dormant accounts for this period)( so there are two dates that I need to consider in the Basic Tools software.

Under 'Current Employee Details' in the Basic Tools software it asks the following two questions:

Director Details 2017/2018: Date appointed as company director and ...
    Employee start date.

The employee start date is obvious as it's 01/08/17 but the date appointed as company director maybe causing a problem. I initially put in 01/08/17 as that was the day work started (husband's contract with client started), HMRC told me to switch it to 03/01/17 as that was the date the company was set up and Directorship established. After a telephone call to them yesterday, they said that it should be 01/08/17 (and then they said to leave it as 03/01/17).

I'm concerned because the technician I spoke to initially said if it was 01/08/17, DH would be owed around £3k but I was then told to leave it as 03/01/17. Naturally, I want to be sure as I was told this date affects the Employers NI that he pays.

Sorry this is a bit convoluted, hope it makes sense - I personally don't think we are owed any money.
    Last edited by Jenme; 17 March 2018, 17:00.

What is DH ?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      What is DH ?
      DH is an abbreviation of Darling Husband on the likes of Mumsnet...

Comment

Your accountant should be able to help you out.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Your accountant should be able to help you out.
          Or Mumsnet !

Comment

I use the tool and it's idiot proof, no offence , I guess it depends if you earned anything between the two dates? If so the NI and Tax calculations will need to take into account what you have already earned in that financial year.

If you submit the RTI this month, due to the way that NI is sometimes calculated for a director, you will be asked if this is the last payment in the tax year and you will get a yearly calculation for the NI rather than monthly (although the amounts paid during the year is deducted so is usually only a small difference to your normal monthly pay)
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
            X