• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 appeal success

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    It didn't go to court though. My next step was to take it to the commissioners but that was going to cost me £7,500 - £10,000. QDOS said the insurance wouldn't cover it due to the low chance of success.

PCG got involved, wrote one letter and HMRC dropped it. Sent me a snippy letter with the paraphrase above.

I was surprised that, although they dropped the initial claim, they didn't chase me for the 24 month rule etc., to at least recover something. I was prepared to pay back expenses claimed or BIK but the whole thing was dropped.
    They knew IPSE would be happy to take them all the way to prove they were wrong on a technicality.

BTW The square mile is really walking distance unless you have a mobility problems as it is just over a mile.https://londonist.com/2016/07/is-the...-a-square-mile However going to other travel zones in London, and subsequently other places/suburbs in cities/large towns, really isn't.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      They knew IPSE would be happy to take them all the way to prove they were wrong on a technicality.

BTW The square mile is really walking distance unless you have a mobility problems as it is just over a mile.https://londonist.com/2016/07/is-the...-a-square-mile However going to other travel zones in London, and subsequently other places/suburbs in cities/large towns, really isn't.
      Yes, it was the fact PCG got involved that stopped HMRC in their tracks. They knew they wouldn't win so quietly dropped it. After hearing nil for 6 months and I hadn't paid any of the £52k to them, we wrote to them and said due to the time lapse we were now considering the matter closed. That's when they wrote the final letter to me.

My argument over the square mile rule was exactly that - driving from client A to Client B was just over 4 miles so wasn't within a square mile. That's when they came up with the direction of travel argument. Driving from my office to client A and then in my next contract from my office to client B was in the same general direction.

Comment

4 miles? :
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          4 miles? :
          Not as the crow flies - but that's how HMRC work it...

The easiest test is would you travel to the same main-line station to get to a different workplace. HMRC will accept that as a "different journey" I'm told.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            4 miles? :
            Over 4 miles Client B wasn't within a square mile of Client A which was my argument against their ruling. My theory was that Client B had opened a new head office near Client A and they used that to say it was within. I had only ever been there once for a 1 hour meeting.

Anyway, 1 was north and the other south so different routes as well but they said general direction of travel.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Not as the crow flies - but that's how HMRC work it...

The easiest test is would you travel to the same main-line station to get to a different workplace. HMRC will accept that as a "different journey" I'm told.
              Doesn't really work in and around London unless it really is the Square Mile as you can start at the same station e.g. Watford Junction but take different routes to end up at destinations a mile away e.g. Angel and Farringdon.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

While I welcome this decision, in some ways I am dismayed also by this. While I have endeavoured to act and look different to BOS contractors, sometimes to my financial detriment, I may have been wasting my time as the bar is now so low.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
                  While I welcome this decision, in some ways I am dismayed also by this. While I have endeavoured to act and look different to BOS contractors, sometimes to my financial detriment, I may have been wasting my time as the bar is now so low.
                  Not wasted in my book. If you follow your own rules HMRC ought to go after those contractors whose evidence is weaker.

He might have won but it was only after the stress of going through the fight.

I used to do the London, Leeds, Bristol, Newbury tour for my contracts and I didn’t regret it. Don’t look at your decision through their rules.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                  X