• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Struggling To Get Contract Role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Oh he'd know if he knew you. [emoji12]
    Originally posted by Saffie8511 View Post
    This is true, it's a small world out there.
    Ever worked with a Scottish bloke that swore a lot ?

(I just realised when typing that, how it doesn't really narrow things down much )
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      The thing with contracting is you're a business - you are the marketing department, and you need to be effective or the business fails. Work your network, attend any local contractor/technical/networking events and talk to people. I get almost all my work from my contacts.

Where are you based?
      London, East London to be precise.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        Ever worked with a Scottish bloke that swore a lot ?

(I just realised when typing that, how it doesn't really narrow things down much )
        Well he didnt swear too much but enjoyed a pint regulary, he was very pleasant a former programme manager as well.

Comment

Well he didnt swear too much but enjoyed a pint regulary, he was very pleasant a former programme manager as well.
          Not me then, I swear a lot and I'm not pleasant. Just as NLUK.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

London, East London to be precise.

So we'll see you at the next CUK or IPSE London event

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              So we'll see you at the next CUK or IPSE London event

Comment

LinkedIn, local networking groups, Chamber of Commerce, job pages, former collegues. Network the tulip out of them.

Ten years as a permy, you need to change your mindset. As other posters have said you are a business, need to think like that.

Good luck.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

You say you've applied for job from adverts but have you registered your CV on the various job sites? This is how most agents find candidates rather than waiting for them to apply.

Upload your CV and refresh it regularly, this keeps it at the top of the pile when they run searches.

If you are on LinkedIn then turn on the "looking for a job" setting on your profile.

If you are not getting hits consider revising your CV so it doesn't look like a permie CV. Remove employee related stuff and rejig it to focus on delivery. Agents don't want to know what personal development goals you met or how much time you spent on corporate responsibility. What did you deliver, was it on time and on budget?

The first gig is always hard as you are up against seasoned contractors with a track record.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

OP read this backwards to get a handle on just how hard it is for many.
                    https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...arket-147.html

As your recent background is perm then yes its going to be an almighty struggle to get absolutely anything contract wise. Your back of the queue behind so many highly skilled contractors. I would never ever say give up totally but instead of contract roles you should really sell yourself hard to all the main agencies in London for another perm role as that is your most realistic chance of landing a new role. 10 years perm @ Lloyds will still be worth something to another financial services company in London although the salary will probably be way below what your used to @ Lloyds.

Its also going to start to be an issue having not worked since last year. You will find as standard you have to pass Police Checks, Credit Background checks & provide most of your mortgage, credit card & bank statements for the last 6 months if you manage to get another role (perm or contract) as they require proof of career inactivity.

If you suspect you will fail any of these checks then kiss goodbye the Financial Services sector & target another (although many of those insist on them as well recently).

The days of easy money & easy contract roles are long gone you have to compete with way more people than ever before (many willing to work for not far above minimum wage just to secure the work on their CV!!).

Comment

6 years at Lloydes in project delivery that will be 2 projects then

Lloydes are culling permies and contractors, RBS have already killed stone dead 1000's of contractor roles, credit Suisse have done the same as have several other banks - times are hard - start with a professional cv rewrite

Comment

Working...
                      X