• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Struggling To Get Contract Role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Some parts of Surrey and West Sussex aren't doable from East London but Kent and East Sussex plus Essex are. This is why I said it depends where exactly in London the OP. I know some people in NW and SE London who have struggled to get to parts of Surrey let alone West Sussex.
    It’s also possible as a contractor to work away from home!
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      It’s also possible as a contractor to work away from home!
      This is a very good point. However I'd add that if possible try and limit the commute to 200 miles or less. Driving 200 miles on a Friday afternoon and then doing the same thing on a Monday morning at the crack of dawn becomes a big bind. The UK might be small but to drive around 200 miles in 1 hit can take a lot longer than you think with the current state of roads and congestion.

Comment

Originally posted by MattFromEarth View Post
        This is a very good point. However I'd add that if possible try and limit the commute to 200 miles or less. Driving 200 miles on a Friday afternoon and then doing the same thing on a Monday morning at the crack of dawn becomes a big bind. The UK might be small but to drive around 200 miles in 1 hit can take a lot longer than you think with the current state of roads and congestion.
        That's where working with the client rather than just for them comes into it.
        Monday mornings I don't mind leaving early to avoid the traffic - e.g. leave at 5am. The rest of the week I'd go into the client around 8am and leave around 6pm Tuesday to Thursday, and leave by 2pm on a Friday.
        It's not necessarily something you can do on week 1, but if you build up a good relationship with them, I've found most have been agreeable to that.

I've had a couple of clients who had a great rule - never leave home before 7am on a Monday and never get back home after 7pm on a Friday. They'd fly me to Europe on a 10-11am flight and back on a 3pm.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Monday mornings I don't mind leaving early to avoid the traffic - e.g. leave at 5am. The rest of the week I'd go into the client around 8am and leave around 6pm Tuesday to Thursday, and leave by 2pm on a Friday.
          It's not necessarily something you can do on week 1, but if you build up a good relationship with them, I've found most have been agreeable to that.

I've had a couple of clients who had a great rule - never leave home before 7am on a Monday and never get back home after 7pm on a Friday. They'd fly me to Europe on a 10-11am flight and back on a 3pm.
          Agree 100%. In fact, working away is for me one of the many joys of contracting.

Of the last 5 contracts over 8 years I've been able to negotiate 2 days at home. Currently I leave home on Sunday afternoon, stay in a rented flat and go in 0700 to 1500 Mon to Wed then bounce home 1300 Wednesday and WFH Thu and Fri. (So zero traffic on the 160 mile trip). Works well - and I like staying in nice places all over the UK and abroad. I always find a decent local boozer and make a few friends in the first month or so and then I've got a fun week, every week.

Only proviso is it's got to be a really nice place to stay (and I negotiate with the owner after using Booking.com to find a decent place but they’re usually around £90 a night). And it's got to be a flat so I can cook and take a PS4 etc and make the place my own to an extent.

Comment

Originally posted by SillyPerson View Post
            Agree 100%. In fact, working away is for me one of the many joys of contracting.

Of the last 5 contracts over 8 years I've been able to negotiate 2 days at home. Currently I leave home on Sunday afternoon, stay in a rented flat and go in 0700 to 1500 Mon to Wed then bounce home 1300 Wednesday and WFH Thu and Fri. (So zero traffic on the 160 mile trip). Works well - and I like staying in nice places all over the UK and abroad. I always find a decent local boozer and make a few friends in the first month or so and then I've got a fun week, every week.

Only proviso is it's got to be a really nice place to stay (and I negotiate with the owner after using Booking.com to find a decent place but they’re usually around £90 a night). And it's got to be a flat so I can cook and take a PS4 etc and make the place my own to an extent.
            (One point on working away - if you're a biker then when they changed the car tax laws they left bikes out of it so you can get the VAT back on a new bike (or an ex-police bike as it changes tax cycle class) and there's fewer concerns about traffic. You can have your Harley and eat it.)

Comment

Originally posted by MattFromEarth View Post
              You can always take the train. Though you need to ensure the client co is on a reasonable train route from you, plus you need to book ahead and make sure your tickets are refundable apart from the admin fee.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

perhaps

Originally posted by Saffie8511 View Post
                Okay here it goes, I left my permanent job last year October through redudancy and took a bit of a break and started to look for work again in January.

A brief background, I worked for Lloyds Bank for 10 years the last 6 of which were in project delivery, namely Implementation Management/Project Management and PMO.

It has been difficult and frustrating to say the least, if I apply for 10 roles I hear back from 1 maybe to say sorry the role has been filled or some other form of rejection.

Is it just me, the market, the nature of contracting or all 3? My warchest wont last forever and am seeking advise from the professionals on here, whether it be agencies, people, organisation or even to rip apart my CV.

Any suggestions more than welcome

Thanks
                perhaps you have been blacklisted - Its all the rage I hear

Comment

I've been on the bench for 10 months now. It's starting to get really depressing now. I've also started looking at perm roles, but I can't even get any of those roles because of the gap in my CV and the fact that I have a contract background, they think I might jump ship half way through a role, but I wouldn't. This is the longest I've been on the bench, and I feel like I'm starting to forget a lot of the work I did.

Comment

Originally posted by MarcusD View Post
                    I've been on the bench for 10 months now. It's starting to get really depressing now. I've also started looking at perm roles, but I can't even get any of those roles because of the gap in my CV and the fact that I have a contract background, they think I might jump ship half way through a role, but I wouldn't. This is the longest I've been on the bench, and I feel like I'm starting to forget a lot of the work I did.
                    This is the way it is now so many people looking, less roles overall & rate is everything to many clients they do not care if the contractor gets £100 a day & the agent gets £150 a day! You can either lie on your CV to cover the gap & try to get a short term contract or keep plugging away its either that or give up altogether on IT! Globalisation has recently had a very negative effect on many UK based contractors.

Comment

Livin' the dream...

Of course the key question is: what are the car parking arrangements?

Comment

Working...
                      X