• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blacklisted/Blackballed/Defamation What to do next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    Retire and Rant on forums?
    Wish I could afford to retire but I have been ranting on various forums for some time. I cannot comment about the issues I have reported to the ICO as some of it is quite serious even possibly threatening to my personal safety. If the ICO do not turn up facts then I need to have a plan B any suggestions.

During the last 6 years I have looked inwards PLENTY. I have been to job clubs, I have spoken to career counsellors, I have had psychological counselling. I have asked others if they know what the issue is and I still have no idea what the problem is or why this is happening.
    I have survived only because I had savings which lasted two years, since them I have been living (if that is what you want to call it) on my husbands income. I did start a business (not consulting/contracting) and tried at this for three of the last six years hoping that these problems would go away but they have not. I finished the business in 2016 and have been looking for work since then. Maybe there is no "blacklist" maybe it is personal but I cannot be the only person in the world that this has happened to. The ICO investigated the construction industry and that list was formed of people who were seen as union activist/trouble makers. A lot of people were stopped from working and a lot of money has now been paid out. Is there a more global issue?

Comment

If you've got nothing substanital on your CV for the past five years, then you are always going to struggle to find work. Maybe look at permanent opportunities and see if you can get some kind of skills / reputation back so that people can look at what you can do rather than you not having much to show for the past years.

Comment

I think you are all a little bit naive.

I know for sure one of the big agencies does indeed practice something along these lines. Indeed if you hear their agents talking among themselves off the record you will find their regard for contractors is rather low, and they regard any tricks as fair game.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
          If you've got nothing substanital on your CV for the past five years, then you are always going to struggle to find work. Maybe look at permanent opportunities and see if you can get some kind of skills / reputation back so that people can look at what you can do rather than you not having much to show for the past years.
          Thanks. I have been looking for any kind of work since 2016 even permanent and will keep on doing so. My post is not about finding work but how to get justice. Where do I go in terms of investigation? How do I find the facts?

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
            I've never heard of this happening. You rarely get involved in qualitative references from real people nowadays. It's usually a yes/no from an agency about whether you did the cited role over the cited period. So question number 1 is why are you getting involved in references?

I am no longer involved in the reference issue but it is what seemed to spark the problems.

Question number 2 is why are these people speaking ill of you? You need to face up to that issue.
            I can only think its because I am exceptional which makes others look not so good. Maybe, Perhaps, Who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by boredfromsurrey View Post
              Thanks. I have been looking for any kind of work since 2016 even permanent and will keep on doing so. My post is not about finding work but how to get justice. Where do I go in terms of investigation? How do I find the facts?
              If anyone holds information about you, and is subject to the Data Protection Act then they must provide that information when you request it. If they do not do that they are committing an illegal act, and as you have found the ICO is the way to deal with that breach.

If they do not hold the information then I'm not sure how you can find the facts without suing and getting people on the stand and then forcing them to either commiut pergury or to testify about how they have treated you. That is going to be expensive though.

Is there a union that you could join - communications workers? Community? Unison? - that might be able to look at whether this is more widespread than people realise and they might be willing to take your case up for you. I guess failing that you could look at forming your own union like James Farrer (?) the uber guy did who is now part of a much bigger union.

It's a shame you can't shaer the kind of things that you've found out so far - at the end of the day, you should also consider which is more important - your safety or your pride here?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyF View Post
                If anyone holds information about you, and is subject to the Data Protection Act then they must provide that information when you request it. If they do not do that they are committing an illegal act, and as you have found the ICO is the way to deal with that breach.

If they do not hold the information then I'm not sure how you can find the facts without suing and getting people on the stand and then forcing them to either commiut pergury or to testify about how they have treated you. That is going to be expensive though.

Is there a union that you could join - communications workers? Community? Unison? - that might be able to look at whether this is more widespread than people realise and they might be willing to take your case up for you. I guess failing that you could look at forming your own union like James Farrer (?) the uber guy did who is now part of a much bigger union.

It's a shame you can't shaer the kind of things that you've found out so far - at the end of the day, you should also consider which is more important - your safety or your pride here?
                Hi Tony F I don't know of any unions for technology professionals who are self-employed or company directors. Even so I am not the sort of person to join a union as I am very individual and Independent minded. I hope to share once my problems are resolved it would be nice to make sure this does not happen to others.

Comment

I did know someone in the construction industry who ended up on a blacklist, he said eventually they just "forgot" and he got back in. It was due to some dispute with his employer, not sure whether he was a contractor.

My advice just ignore it and keep applying especially to smaller companies, perhaps drop your rate to get your foot in the door and forget about chasing justice.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by boredfromsurrey View Post
                    I have not had paid work since early 2012. What can I do?
                    Get a job...
                    HTH

let’s be realistic. A bad reference (or two) isn’t going to keep you on the bench for 6 years. Conclusion is your skills aren’t rare enough for the contract market.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      Get a job...
                      HTH

let’s be realistic. A bad reference (or two) isn’t going to keep you on the bench for 6 years. Conclusion is your skills aren’t rare enough for the contract market.
                      HTH? What should I do go away and start a family? I am over 50, Female, No kids, Very rare skills and new skills gained in the last six years. Sorry but my last permanent role was in the 90's your get a job comment does not hang together. My skills were good enough before but they are not good enough now?

Comment

Working...
                      X