• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upgrading Roles in contract position

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading Roles in contract position

Hi All, being a contractor, how does it work if you’ve to change the role e.g from a test lead position to the role of a BA? Although there is no potential vertical growth being a contractor, I’m just trying to get a hike in my daily rate.

A beginner has to start somewhere, so how would anyone start off with this kind of role change? How would you discuss with the agent/client, and do you think it would work to start off?

Appreciate any inputs or suggestions. Thank you.

Hmmmm...

Comment

The problem you face is that contractors are hired for what they've done, not what they potentially can do. Test lead to BA is not a logical progression anyway IMO but if you don't have a history of BA-level experience you can't really get a role as one in the face of people who do have that experience.
      If you can re-work your CV to demonstrate BA skills, even in a testing environment, then you may get somewhere.

But doing it inside a gig is next to impossible: crusty old PMs like me will rarely countenance such a change, especially for more money (if anything I'd pay you less...).

BTW talking to agents is usually a waste of time. The ones you come into contact with will not have the seniority or experience to advise you properly.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You can't.

Some contract roles give you the opportunity to focus on different skills that are more akin to another role. You need to start taking those roles. However when you take them you must ensure what you do to deliver the project is in your contract.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SilverStag View Post
          Hi All, being a contractor, how does it work if you’ve to change the role e.g from a test lead position to the role of a BA? Although there is no potential vertical growth being a contractor, I’m just trying to get a hike in my daily rate.

A beginner has to start somewhere, so how would anyone start off with this kind of role change? How would you discuss with the agent/client, and do you think it would work to start off?

Tell the client that you're happy to consider roles that are outside your current scope of work, assuming that the relevant contract, and rate, changes are reflected correctly in a new contract schedule. Point out that you believe that the changed role should have an increase.
          Worst case scenario is they look at you funny and ask why they should give you a rate rise when they're keeping you on instead of terminating you (which they should if they're run out of work for you).

Being blunt though.... What makes you think a BA role should pay better than a test lead role, especially as you were hired for, and presumably skilled at, testing?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SilverStag View Post

I know some clients think they'll save money getting a BA onboard who can do a bit of testing. But, in my experience, at best, they just got someone who could do one part reasonable well while making an absolute abortion of the other or, just got some chancer who thought they were worth the slightly higher rate being offered and couldnt do either role proper.

Comment

Stick to what your good at. It’s very difficult to find good test leads and technical QAs as there is a lot of tosh out there.... therefore if you’re good you can charge good rates.

There seems to be a lot of good BAs on the market unable to find roles as it’s just so over subscribed.

Comment

If you want to get a hike in your rate then you should consider how best to market yourself with you current skillset.

Good Test Managers are hard to come by IMO

Move up the chain to more of a Test Director role, look at adding skills to your profile such as Agile, market yourself as a JIRA guru, Automated Test guru etc. etc.

As someone has already said the BA market is saturated / what makes you think you have the skills to be a good BA?

Comment

Working...
                X