• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Terms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Terms

I've been asked to sign a contract and had a couple of questions regarding the terms. Am I being reasonable or should be aware of any red flags.

Portal Contract
    The agency (Lorien) refuse to email me a contract. They said I have to view it (in separate sections) on their online portal. Signing it seems to be just a click of an Accept button.

Is it reasonable to expect a PDF contract so that I can get it reviewed?

What will my copy of the contract look like?

Portal Invoicing
    The contract demands that I invoice through their portal. I typically send all my invoices at the end of the month using my own accountancy system.

Has anyone had any luck getting Lorian to accept monthly "contractor generated" invoices?

Fines/Non Payment for Late Invoices
    They want me to agree to fines and non-payment if an invoice is late. Now I'm not planning on submitting late invoices but this seems completely unreasonable.

Does this seem equitable?

Apologies, I realise there are quite a few separate questions there!

Are you sure there isn't a contract and an acceptance of their T&C? The later could be done via a tick box but I'd certainly expect the contract to be in a form that I can either print off or send to people like QDOS for review.
    So yes, I would very much expect a document that I can forward on.

Portal Invoicing
    The contract demands that I invoice through their portal. I typically send all my invoices at the end of the month using my own accountancy system.

Has anyone had any luck getting Lorian to accept monthly "contractor generated" invoices?
    Is it really that much of a problem? I very much doubt they will bend if their processes are dictated by their system. You can still use your own invoices if you want.. Are they offering self billing?

They want me to agree to fines and non-payment if an invoice is late. Now I'm not planning on submitting late invoices but this seems completely unreasonable.
    Surely there is a lot more around this? Does it look a lot worse because you aren't giving us the full picture? Yes if you submit an invoice 12 months later you'd have to expect them to either not pay it or take off an admin fee. If you are two days late then they can **** off. You aren't taking that level of threat over a few days.
    Are you sure you are telling us everything here?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by openshac View Post
      I've been asked to sign a contract and had a couple of questions regarding the terms. Am I being reasonable or should be aware of any red flags.

Portal Contract
      The agency (Lorien) refuse to email me a contract. They said I have to view it (in separate sections) on their online portal. Signing it seems to be just a click of an Accept button.

Have you gone on to the portal and tried downloading the contract from there? Most of the portal systems I have seen allow that functionality. You may need to open the file first, then download it.

Portal Invoicing

What is your issue with using their invoicing portal?

Does this seem equitable?
      Without knowing the details of what they are saying, it's hard to know whether it is "equitable", "unreasonable" or "completely unreasonable"

Sorry if that hasn't been much help, but I've had several contracts where the contract itself has been online and where the agency has had an online portal for timesheets to create invoices.

If you're really concerned about it, walk away from the contract. Large agencies don't tend to be as flexible as smaller ones.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Are you sure there isn't a contract and an acceptance of their T&C? The later could be done via a tick box but I'd certainly expect the contract to be in a form that I can either print off or send to people like QDOS for review.
        So yes, I would very much expect a document that I can forward on.
        Thanks for your input NLUK.

No, they simply said, "Copy and paste the text and use that".

Is it really that much of a problem? I very much doubt they will bend if their processes are dictated by their system. You can still use your own invoices if you want.. Are they offering self billing?
        Well, it's a hassle on my part because I have to create invoices in two places. I guess I can do that on their time!
        They say it's not self-billing.

Surely there is a lot more around this? Does it look a lot worse because you aren't giving us the full picture? Yes if you submit an invoice 12 months later you'd have to expect them to either not pay it or take off an admin fee. If you are two days late then they can **** off. You aren't taking that level of threat over a few days.
        Are you sure you are telling us everything here?
        OK, fair point

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Have you gone on to the portal and tried downloading the contract from there? Most of the portal systems I have seen allow that functionality. You may need to open the file first, then download it.
          Nope, unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be an option.

I can't see how I would even be able to keep a document on file one I click the accept button!

What is your issue with using their invoicing portal?
          It's just extra hassle for me.
          I have always simply sent my clients an invoice at the end of each month. I figured (maybe wrongly) that it was standard business practice.

Without knowing the details of what they are saying, it's hard to know whether it is "equitable", "unreasonable" or "completely unreasonable"

Sorry if that hasn't been much help, but I've had several contracts where the contract itself has been online and where the agency has had an online portal for timesheets to create invoices.

If you're really concerned about it, walk away from the contract. Large agencies don't tend to be as flexible as smaller ones.
          No, thanks for your time and advice.

Comment

I can't see how I would even be able to keep a document on file one I click the accept button!
            Normally, you will either be emailed a copy once they have signed it, or they will send you a link where you can download it from.

It's just extra hassle for me.
            I have always simply sent my clients an invoice at the end of each month. I figured (maybe wrongly) that it was standard business practice.
            It's a few minutes extra work for you.
            Sending invoices to smaller clients/agents is the norm, but larger agencies invest in online systems that speed up the process of invoicing the end client and make it easier for them to process payments to their contractors
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Regarding the copy of the contract, you could try arguing about their Terms & Conditions here

https://www.lorien.co.uk/terms

which state..

Each assignment or placement made through Lorien will be subject to our standard contract. Unless we have a different written agreement with you, our standard contract will apply. All prospective workers, employers and clients for whom we arrange assignments or placements will be provided with a copy of the contract applicable to them at or following registration.
              Try arguing a portal makes it available but it isn't being provided with a copy.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Normally, you will either be emailed a copy once they have signed it, or they will send you a link where you can download it from.

It's a few minutes extra work for you.
                Sending invoices to smaller clients/agents is the norm, but larger agencies invest in online systems that speed up the process of invoicing the end client and make it easier for them to process payments to their contractors
                Thanks, makes sense.

Comment

Regarding the copy of the contract, you could try arguing about their Terms & Conditions here

which state..

Try arguing a portal makes it available but it isn't being provided with a copy.
                  NLUK - amazing!

Seriously you are too good to be on here! Appreciated nonetheless.

Comment

which state..

I've just tried that but they said it was "impossible" to provide me with a copy. All they were prepared to do was copy and paste from the portal into a Word doc for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X