• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QDOS IR35 insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QDOS IR35 insurance

Hi,

I'm new to contracting, started in October on a 6-month contract, and it's been extended WEF next week to end of September. QDOS do provide my public liability insurance.

What I don't understand is the time period IR35 insurance covers.. does it back-date to October, when I started contracting?

What happens once my contract ends? I have a small child so may go back to not working until she is older... do I need to maintain a current IR35 policy indefinitely to cover me should HMRC suddenly decide to investigate me in the future?

Or what if I go back to PAYE employment? Again, do I have to maintain a current policy just in case?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by SmartieDriver; 18 April 2018, 14:04.

The general consensus appears to be to keep TLC35 or any other similar product running for a year after you have finished to cover yourself for any retrospective action when you close the company or whatever.

As long as they check the contract they should cover the gig. If you have an odd situation where you started before you took it or whatever your best bet is to speak to them. Insurance often has a habit of working everything in their favour to avoid paying out so speak to them directly if you even slightly unsure.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 18 April 2018, 11:59.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The decision is how long to keep the insurance product current. HMRC can go back a lot further than 12 months. My advice is so long as your limited co exists, you need to maintain cover since HMRC could open an investigation at any time. Once your company has ceased trading and been closed, keep you cover for at least 12 months, potentially 2 years for piece of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartieDriver View Post
        Hi,

I'm new to contracting, started in October on a 6-month contract, and it's been extended WEF next week to end of September. do provide my public liability insurance.

What I don't understand is the time period it covers.. does it back-date to October, when I started contracting?

What happens once my contract ends? I have a small child so may go back to not working until she is older... do I need to maintain a current IR35 policy indefinitely to cover me should HMRC suddenly decide to investigate me in the future?

Or what if I go back to PAYE employment? Again, do I have to maintain a current policy just in case?

Many thanks!
        PI and PLI is needed when the case is raised that requires it, so backdating it isn't really an issue. It offers legal support, primarily, to try to head off the case.

As regards longer term support for a variable career, perhaps basic IPSE membership to cover any tax-related inquiries is another option?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          PI and PLI is needed when the case is raised that requires it, so backdating it isn't really an issue. It offers legal support, primarily, to try to head off the case.

As regards longer term support for a variable career, perhaps basic IPSE membership to cover any tax-related inquiries is another option?
          Is there some connection between you and IPSE other than being a customer? You seem to like them a lot
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

Comment

The IPSE cover doesn't seem to mention anything about covering a tax liability if HMRC should decide I fall inside IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by SmartieDriver View Post
                The IPSE cover doesn't seem to mention anything about covering a tax liability if HMRC should decide I fall inside IR35?
                No it doesn't. However it is available through them at much the same cost as the QDOS version. Plus the underlying cover from being a member is much wider ranging.

I won't restart the debate about whether or not you actually need tax charge protection though. Since the change to the PS rules, and any future changes to the private sector equivalents, that is a whole lot more difficult to decide.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  Is there some connection between you and IPSE other than being a customer? You seem to like them a lot
                  You need to study your history...

However, IPSE's offering is a very sound and wide-ranging commercial proposition that too many newbie contractors know nothing about. It's up to them if they buy or not, but they need to be aware of it.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You need to study your history...
                    Ah - what did I miss in that case?
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X