• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gov direct contracting experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gov direct contracting experience

I was a freelancer in the past and then I had my own startup for 3 years. As I did not manage to scale up I have fallen back into contracting.

Currently contracting for various gov departments as a UX Designer.

Now I figure out that if I can cut out the middleman (recruitment agency or consultancy) I can make £100 - £300 extra a day. Two questions I have:

1) Are there any other ways to submit myself (my LTD) direct apart from G-Cloud and the Digitalmarketplace and what these other options are?

2) For anyone who already have done this, what are the implications/experience? I have read on this forum that getting a contract signed is a hassle which does not bother me too much but I also read that the payment needs to be chased and there can be long delays. Now, this can obviously affect the cash flow.

Originally posted by davecz View Post
    Now I figure out that if I can cut out the middleman (recruitment agency or consultancy) I can make £100 - £300 extra a day. Two questions I have:
    I'd be willing to guess that every single contractor on a public sector gig has thought the same. And you won't. If you are going to replace the agent one of the main factors the client will be looking for are cost savings.

You've got to re-think your type of engagement. If they want you as a bum on seat they are not going to have the position open on any other framework so there will be nothing for you to apply to. You'll be stuck picking at whatever goes up on the different frameworks where the roles you are currently doing stay with the agent.

If it was easy every single contractor would have done it. The fact I've yet to see one manage it speaks volumes.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The Civil Service finds dealing with 1 individual contractor to be 1 contractor too many. They prefer dealing with agencies or consultancies.

Comment

My colleague content designer at the newcastle hmrc placed his content designer (he kept his company ticking on the side while contracting) and managed to get a part-time for himself on the gov digitalmarketplace. So it's been done. I was hoping there would be other UX designers like myself on this forum who have managed and will share how it went but it looks like I will be the first one fingers crossed.

Comment

Unless your already in with the right people this (read: Nosh off the right people) then you don’t have a chance. The agency/suppliers approved list is very restricted and their framework compliance is more trouble than its worth unless you’re looking to become a “real” agency.

Comment

Originally posted by davecz View Post
            My colleague content designer at the newcastle hmrc placed his content designer (he kept his company ticking on the side while contracting) and managed to get a part-time for himself on the gov digitalmarketplace. So it's been done. I was hoping there would be other UX designers like myself on this forum who have managed and will share how it went but it looks like I will be the first one fingers crossed.
            Well get yourself on such a framework then.

Unfortunately you need to make sure you apply when the relevant framework is open.

Some people who are kinder on here will tell everyone but most people can't be bothered....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I have found Digital marketplace to be a big waste of time so far. Very little comes up of any relevance, and any roles that do just get reposted by agencies at much lower rates.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

Why would you deliberately target the gov/PS roles?

I only consider them when there is nothing else on the market and have been on the bench for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  because they can be made to last for a long long time and you then take a lot more out of the system thean you pay in.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post

I only consider them when there is nothing else on the market and have been on the bench for a while.
                    In the UX design the only other sector which pays as much (or more) is finance. Now I do not have experience working in the finance sector plus my mate was at Bloomberg 8pm Friday night while at the Gov stuff starts to evaporate after the lunch.

Also, it's a really good niche once you have some GDS experience on your CV.

I am contemplating to start my own consultancy. I only need to place 2 contractors and I can replace my salary. The only trouble is that there is no one to JV. The public servants sit around waiting for their pension and the contractors are too cozy with their nice d/r and the work is not too hard so I am a lone wolf in the sheep factory.

Comment

Working...
                    X