• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am struggling to find next contract, how about others?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple offers

Long time lurker here...am a BA/PM and had been looking for 5 weeks until I got no less than 3 offers in 2 days...will be accepting the one I got though my network...I know this advice has been given many times to jobseekers but really use your network as much as possible, instead of relying on faceless agents!

Quick question from the group though....in case of multiple offers, do you accept one and turn down others...or do you accept your Plan A and keep your Plan B open in case something goes wrong with Plan A onboarding process...? not great for Plan B ClientCo but just wondering the safest approach here...

Comment

One problem I've found with 'using your network': As I've gained more experience as a contractor, I've been increasing my rate. Now a few jobs in it's a fair bit higher than when I started. I expect my previous clients would be expecting me for the same rate, and frankly I'd feel a bit embarrassed asking them for such an increase, and that may well be that bridge burnt. If I start struggling to the point where I'm willing to take a pay cut they may come in useful however.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
        One problem I've found with 'using your network': As I've gained more experience as a contractor, I've been increasing my rate. Now a few jobs in it's a fair bit higher than when I started. I expect my previous clients would be expecting me for the same rate, and frankly I'd feel a bit embarrassed asking them for such an increase, and that may well be that bridge burnt. If I start struggling to the point where I'm willing to take a pay cut they may come in useful however.
        I have a client I go back to every few years or so. Each time I've managed to increase my rate and get what I asked for. It is possible, it more depends on your relationship with the hiring manager and whether they have some ingrained attitudes or have a more flexible nature.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I have a client I go back to every few years or so. Each time I've managed to increase my rate and get what I asked for. It is possible, it more depends on your relationship with the hiring manager and whether they have some ingrained attitudes or have a more flexible nature.
          Nope. You get to a point where they do not want to pay more despite the benefits you bring. I had a banking client who I have gone back to more times than I care to remember (probably 6 or 7 times, longest stay over 3 years).

Last time I was there they had implemented a maximum 18 months in situ policy, no exceptions. They kept me on beyond that by an extra 5 months. They let me know they wanted me to go back in the new year when a new tranche of work was scheduled. Fine, conditions would be the same.

When they contacted me, I asked for a modest increase as Id sucked up an increase in working week part way through the last contract and wanted to stay over a couple of nights rather than do the long daily commute. The hiring manager was ok with the increase but the bean counters were not. They could get someone cheaper, the market was paying less, blah, blah, blah they said. So I told them to do one instead.

Comment

Originally posted by MarquisdeWapping View Post
            Long time lurker here...am a BA/PM and had been looking for 5 weeks until I got no less than 3 offers in 2 days...will be accepting the one I got though my network...I know this advice has been given many times to jobseekers but really use your network as much as possible, instead of relying on faceless agents!

Quick question from the group though....in case of multiple offers, do you accept one and turn down others...or do you accept your Plan A and keep your Plan B open in case something goes wrong with Plan A onboarding process...? not great for Plan B ClientCo but just wondering the safest approach here...
            Keep all options open until you have a signed contract and feet under the desk at preferred client.

Comment

I am seeing this a lot, I am convinced a large amount of work is getting dished out to networks of people who have worked together previously.
              T'was ever thus but I think it is more important now than ever, especially when the squeeze is on.
              Tap up people you know with a polite contact and indication you are available if anything comes up. Linked in is good for this without it being too cheesy.

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                Last time I was there they had implemented a maximum 18 months in situ policy, no exceptions. They kept me on beyond that by an extra 5 months.
                ...so they made an exception?

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                  ...so they made an exception?
                  Clearly and because of my worth. However they couldnt overcome the bean counter's argument hence my point.

Comment

Originally posted by tpsman View Post
                    I'm in a similar area, but different role - I'm a developer/BA. I was expected to have a new contract straight away from my network. Instead, I've got an offer of around £500 per day working somewhere I really don't want to work, or go permanent for £90k. I was expecting to get a contract for £700/day+ (and would be willing to take whatever came up), but I was being naive.
                    I got desperate and accepted the permie role. Now I'm getting a ton of interest from agents for contract roles (including a role from my network). Going to up my skills on the permie role and see where it takes me.

Comment

Maybe stay a permie

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                      I was in this market and would not be unduly surprised at the 3-4 month point. In today's market I could easily see 6+ months to land something. My last campaign was 5 months and things look worse now.

As always just keep playing the numbers game.
                      So after a bit, the jobs start coming through.

If you want to be a contractor again, you need to have stronger nerves.
                      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X