• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agents fighting over a candidate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agents fighting over a candidate

Hi, I think it's already been discussed on here but it's the first time it's happened to me.

Agent A approaches me with a role last week, he says okay I'll speak with the client, will show them your CV and I'll send over to you the job spec and the request for you to confirm you want to be represented by us for the role. Agent did NOT send either.

Today I get approached by Agent B about the same role. He follows protocol: speaks to me about the role, sends over the spec and the sole representation email. I decided to be represented by Agent B.

Now Agent A is pissed and has left me 3-4 voicemails saying since he got in touch with me first I should be represented by him and threatens to speak to the client about my "unprofessional" behaviour.

Since I never gave written (or spoken) confirmation to Agent A, am I wrong thinking he's got no grounds to do anything, even if he approached me first?

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
    Hi, I think it's already been discussed on here but it's the first time it's happened to me.

Agent A approaches me with a role last week, he says okay I'll speak with the client, will show them your CV and I'll send over to you the job spec and the request for you to confirm you want to be represented by us for the role. Agent did NOT send either.

Today I get approached by Agent B about the same role. He follows protocol: speaks to me about the role, sends over the spec and the sole representation email. I decided to be represented by Agent B.

Now Agent A is pissed and has left me 3-4 voicemails saying since he got in touch with me first I should be represented by him and threatens to speak to the client about my "unprofessional" behaviour.

Since I never gave written (or spoken) confirmation to Agent A, am I wrong thinking he's got no grounds to do anything, even if he approached me first?
    Ignore him.

Comment

Yes but I would also reply with where was the job spec and email asking for representation confirmation you promised, you sent neither so jog on.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        Yes but I would also reply with where was the job spec and email asking for representation confirmation you promised, you sent neither so jog on.
        Yeah, I actually just did that.

I explained that while he didn't send me anything he had said he would, Agent B did everything by the book so there's nothing I can do now that I've given written consent to Agent B.

Looking forward to the reply!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
          Yeah, I actually just did that.

I explained that while he didn't send me anything he had said he would, Agent B did everything by the book so there's nothing I can do now that I've given written consent to Agent B.

Looking forward to the reply!!
          .... this. Keep it professional and factual. He was being lazy and has missed out and he's trying to bully you now he can see there might be some money in it
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Or reply with if he does not 'jog on' you will email his handler at the agency with details about why lost the exclusivity commitment due to his 'unprofessional' behaviour, am sure his boss would like to get that email (whats good for the goose and all that).

Comment

Just hope they don't start bothering the client who decides not to see you at all to avoid the situation.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No doubt he was pursuing another cheaper candidate for the role.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Just hope they don't start bothering the client who decides not to see you at all to avoid the situation.
                  This is the most important thing IMO.

If the agent is annoyed there’s a good chance he will drop the client a line or a short email.

Most clients won’t want to be involved in this squabbling even if there’s not a big fuss from the agent they’ll likely just bin your cv.

Therefore just be as nice as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    To mitigate this you might want to explain the situation to Agent B, who can eventually "defend" you.

I have been in similar situation twice and mentioned to Agent B during the initial phone call, that some plonker already called about the role couple of days ago, but failed to request rights of representation, so Agent B can double check whether my CV is already with the client by any chance. In one case my CV was already with ClientCo, but upon explanation by Agent B, ClientCo was happy to go with Agent B. In the other Agent A didn't even bother, likely just trying to "eliminate" the competition. In both cases I got an interview.

Seems that you have handled the situation in a professional manner, so nothing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                    X