• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewal time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewal time

So current gig finishes in 4 weeks.. currently on 675pd.
    Found out agent is charging client 850pd.

So I've been told end client desperate to keep me, wants to offer 18month renewal.

Now Im not an expert negotiator and am able to walk from contract, enough funds to sail into sunset.. given this how would people negotiate a rate increase? My personal opinion is contract is ok but not brilliant.. would stay for 775...anyone got good recommendations for negotiation techniques...overwhelming amount of guides on google and hard to see ones directly relevant.

Originally posted by slogger View Post
    So current gig finishes in 4 weeks.. currently on 675pd.
    Found out agent is charging client 850pd.

So I've been told end client desperate to keep me, wants to offer 18month renewal.

Now Im not an expert negotiator and am able to walk from contract, enough funds to sail into sunset.. given this how would people negotiate a rate increase? My personal opinion is contract is ok but not brilliant.. would stay for 775...anyone got good recommendations for negotiation techniques...overwhelming amount of guides on google and hard to see ones directly relevant.
    IMO you're not going to squeeze them by another £100.

Be realistic, and make it easy for them to keep you. Go for £725 and tell them you'll leave if they don't (and mean it). If you go for more than 10% they'll likely chance their arm and replace you with someone on less. At under 10% they'll likely just suck it up.

Anyway. £675 is a pretty good rate in today's market. Is this just greed/jealousy that makes you want more?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Do you know if the agent is on a fixed margin deal with the client?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The fact that your warchest is in good place is fine. The question is how likely is to find another contract at 675+?

The easiest method for me is to tell the agent you have an offer for another role for 775, but happy to stay if ClientCo is able to match that. Just be prepared for the agent to call your bluff and walk.

If you have a good relationship with ClientCo hiring manager you can mention the fact to him and he might be able to squeeze some of the agent margin, depending on their contract etc.

Comment

The client is obviously willing to pay the £850 for you but the chances are they don't want to pay more, despite them saying they really want to keep you. That's a decent bargaining chip to ask the agent to reduce their commission. Splitting the margin is a good starting point but that works out to less than you're willing to stay for. Depends on whether the £10 ish a day difference is a deal breaker.

Comment

How long have you been on the gig already? Will the new contract push you over 24 months so no more expenses?

EDIT : Is it this one in which case the next renewal will put you over 24 months?

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...ml#post2454410
            Last edited by northernladuk; 16 May 2018, 07:52.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              How long have you been on the gig already? Will the new contract push you over 24 months so no more expenses?

EDIT : Is it this one in which case the next renewal will put you over 24 months?

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...ml#post2454410
              Yep the idea is to renew to take me just under 2yrs

Comment

Originally posted by slogger View Post
                Yep the idea is to renew to take me just under 2yrs
                So it's not the same gig as the link??
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Be reasonable to start with. Say you are happy to stay but are looking for a reasonable rate rise to lock yourself in for the 18 months. 725 doesn't sound terrible %age wise.
                  They will say no/pretend to phone the client then say no - Can't cover it/already market rate/they have another chap in the wings blah blah.
                  Choice then is to fold or dig in, say this is what you are looking for to stay, let me know. DONT get involved in any discussions about where this comes from, their margin etc etc.
                  Just leave it with them....
                  They are looking at losing a chunk and 125/day is better then nowt all PLUS the client will be well p****d off if you bail and they have to explain.
                  Up to you and remember it's business not personal. 50 notes a day is a chunk of change...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    So it's not the same gig as the link??
                    No a different gig..also 15miles from last gig.

Comment

Working...
                    X