• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ir35 in private sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ir35 in private sector

https://www.ft.com/content/686ebe6c-...2-d6ceb45fa9d0

they are at it again
    i hope i can retire before it is implemented

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    https://www.ft.com/content/686ebe6c-...2-d6ceb45fa9d0

they are at it again
    i hope i can retire before it is implemented

For the non-subscribers:

Paste the above link into google and view it via google news for free.

Comment

The "consultation" paper is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...private-sector

They are going for it... sadly I cannot retire just yet, so it looks increasingly like a life back in the permie-land.

Comment

I daresay I am missing a point, and perhaps this has already been calculated at length elsewhere, but, based on OneManBand's point above and if this were to be reflected by the majority, if the HMRC's aim is 'to collect more tax', would a Permie, on a permie's salary, actually return less tax than a contractor on a day rate for a year?

It is all well and good saying that a PM on £500 a day should pay an employee's rate for the £120k for the year. But the sad fact is that if the contractor PM on £120k pa moved to be a permie PM on £70k pa, there may actually be less tax earned.

Am I talking rubbish? Please feel free to shoot me down...

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          I daresay I am missing a point, and perhaps this has already been calculated at length elsewhere, but, based on OneManBand's point above and if this were to be reflected by the majority, if the HMRC's aim is 'to collect more tax', would a Permie, on a permie's salary, actually return less tax than a contractor on a day rate for a year?

It is all well and good saying that a PM on £500 a day should pay an employee's rate for the £120k for the year. But the sad fact is that if the contractor PM on £120k pa moved to be a permie PM on £70k pa, there may actually be less tax earned.

Am I talking rubbish? Please feel free to shoot me down...
          The government is not really interested in collecting more revenue, that's just window dressing. The government and it's various executive branches are stuffed with Corbyn loving hard left advocates who just want to damage the lives of people doing better than themselves. Tragic really.

They would throw-up if they had to work as hard as us or face dismissal at short notice constantly. I worked with a client in government who had to downsize, the woman opposite had a breakdown and went on sick-leave for six months because she "might be facing" redundancy. Never did actually.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
            The government is not really interested in collecting more revenue, that's just window dressing. The government and it's various executive branches are stuffed with Corbyn loving hard left advocates who just want to damage the lives of people doing better than themselves. Tragic really.
            Well I've heard some bulltulip in my time, but this takes the cake. It's a TORY government that is pursuing this, and it's so that their mates in Capita et al can get work without pesky independent contractors doing a better job, for less.

I think it's time you put down the tabloids and practised your critical thinking skills, instead of blaming Corbyn for Tory policy.

Comment

Originally posted by opossum View Post
              Well I've heard some bulltulip in my time, but this takes the cake. It's a TORY government that is pursuing this, and it's so that their mates in Capita et al can get work without pesky independent contractors doing a better job, for less.

I think it's time you put down the tabloids and practised your critical thinking skills, instead of blaming Corbyn for Tory policy.
              ...which began with Blair and the Labour Government.

They are all in it.

And this is the limit of this bickering in the Professional forum.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by opossum View Post

It's you that need to take off those tinted goggles. The party in Westminster has changed but almost every civil servant is still in their jobs, it's The Revenue that's pushing for it and we have a big-spending party in power that believes in nothing. The civil servants run this country. I'm not blaming your darling Corbyn (please read what I wrote) but people who are inspired by the same utopian ideology that are pushing for this.

Comment

What did I say, TwoWolves?
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If it comes in, I'm exiting the UK and plying my trade remote only from Spain (assuming I still can!).

Comment

Working...
                    X