• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much was your warchest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough for 6 months as I recall, and I'm not sure I would've tried it if it was less than 3.

As it was, Client #1 took 2 months vetting me before accepting - and this was following a couple of months of interviewing, so I was 4 months in the hole by the time I started

Plain sailing since, no money worries even when benched, but that initial pinch point could ruin someone
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

£0 or pretty much close to it, we weren't keeping our heads above water with a permy salary. I found a client that was willing to wait the 1 month period and it's been pretty good since then.

Comment

No warchest first time I ever went contracting well over 20 years ago had 4 weeks perm salary notice as I had more than enough of the perm banking environment & the petty management. Took my chances & tripled my salary as a contractor within a few weeks.

No warchest nowadays its long gone but have at several times had up to £50K cash at the bank & sometimes preferred the downtime to live life to the full & spend quality time with loved ones (before they passed away) instead of working all year.

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
          As per title, I'm curious to know how big a warchest you guys had when you switched to contracting.

How many months/years could you have survived without a gig?
          -5k. Wouldn't have been pretty if the gig got canned but no kids back then.

Comment

£0, in fact it was probably negative lol, had a stay at home wife and 2 toddlers to support too.

3 month notice period meant I had to quit before having a role lined up. Oh, and I was going on holiday for 3 weeks after leaving the permie role (2 weeks of saves up holiday pay helped cover that).

Comment

About one tenth of sasguru's prodigious wealth.

Interesting that so many started contracting with close to feck all...

Comment

I'm glad you said "was"
                Started with zip the built up 6 months but as I'm long term on the bench it's now almost the sq root of feck all
                Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Around 6 months, even as a permie if my bank account fell lower than 3 months worth of living expenses I would get anxious.

Comment

£0 and around £30k debt.

Massive risk.

Now I've got 2 years breadline money and no debt.

And I'm still not happy

Comment

I was in quite a fortunate position when I started. I had sold a flat and bought a house and inadvertently ended up with a years worth of money in the bank. I took time out from work and finished a HNC in Computing that I'd been doing at night classes (I would have gotten a HND but couldn't be bothered to do a particularly dull module). As the course was winding up in April/May, I started job hunting and landed my first contract gig with my local County Council in the May. Started with an umbrella company while I worked out what this contracting malarkey was all about and then incorporated in the July when I realised this was the life for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X