• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much was your warchest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much was your warchest?

As per title, I'm curious to know how big a warchest you guys had when you switched to contracting.

How many months/years could you have survived without a gig?

It was a along time ago, but I was temping at the time with no war chest.

So I just slid straight in.

Comment

I quit a permanent role and had about 20K in the bank which could have lasted me for 9-10 months at the time . It took me four months to land my first contract and another two before I actually started.

Something that no-one talks about is the emotional side. I quit a job yet still had a mortgage, a wife and a new child. It sounds irresponsible, but I just knew that I'd had enough and needed to go my own way to some degree.

Comment

One Meelion Rupees
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
          As per title, I'm curious to know how big a warchest you guys had when you switched to contracting.

How many months/years could you have survived without a gig?
          3 months redundancy pay (about £6k) in the early 90s. I started contracting - immediately - by accident, and stayed with it (25 years this October). Mind you I was single and didn't have a mortgage. It was much easier back then, now I think you'd need a minimum of 6 months worth of warchest, and keep topping it up as you go.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

£0

Several months out of work after redundancy due to the dotcom crash forced my hand. Never looked back.

Comment

10k in debt or thereabouts.

Massive risk for me and I'm fortunate to be in a better position now

Comment

c. £9k back in 2009, which is roughly £9k by today's standards.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  c. £9k back in 2009, which is roughly £9k by today's standards.
                  I did laugh...

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
                  £0

Several months out of work after redundancy due to the dotcom crash forced my hand. Never looked back.
                  Ah, reminds me of my first contract role in the telco industry which actually came to an end for the very same reason. So, telco no longer being an option, I found a contract role in travel. That came to an end due to 9/11.

I was left wondering if I went into the automotive industry, how exactly that would fall flat on its face.

Life picked up shortly afterwards though.

Comment

£0

Got a contract and invoiced more in the three months than I'd earned in the year as a permie. Things were looking rosy, contract extension for 9 months.

Then it got canned...

Comment

Working...
                    X