• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 month contract with BT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artdog View Post
    Perhaps but since they have required 2 different criminal record checks, that doesn't seem to be the reason.
    Criminal record checks only show you haven't done anything in the past.

I had to provide a statement to explain why I was off for a month. It basically stated because they asked for references over Xmas. I was happy to provide them evidence and references to show I was around.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've had to provide bank statements to show I was active in the community during breaks between gigs before as well.

If you really don't like it ask them why, who for, what they will do with the data and so on. Ask for evidence. They might just show you it all to satisfy you... Or they might just bin you for the next guy.

Remember they are sending you as a person on site not the company so your personal situation is of interest.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OP what do you have to hide ? This is pretty standard practice now in IT Contracting for many clients.

Comment

Thanks for that insiteful response. I have no pride to swallow. So you would send someone four months of your personal bank account statements? If so then you are not as smart as you think you are.
          I wouldn't cry about it on a contracting forum. What difference does it make ? You send them the statements, they tick their box and bin them or send them back. Do whatever you want. If you're going to be sarcastic make sure you can spell.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Seeing your bank statements with money going in and out is a simple way of proving that you were around and spending money.
            Except it doesn't prove that at all. The activity on our joint account wouldn't change dramatically if I was "away"

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
              Except it doesn't prove that at all. The activity on our joint account wouldn't change dramatically if I was "away"
              In your case it might not.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They won't know that.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You don't know much about the world, do you?

It's a fairly simple calculation, though. You either think the gig is worth it or you don't.

Comment

Perhaps but since they have required 2 different criminal record checks, that doesn't seem to be the reason.

I don't consider my post a rant. It was a question on the legality of the request. Considering the number of sarcastic responses I have seen on other threads, this doesn't seem to be a good place to post questions. I will find another forum where the users are less interested in being trolls.
                    Both of which are a mockery as Jimmy Savile would have passed them!

I'm with WTFH on this one - ask what they want your personal statements for when you are going as a limited company contractor and are concerned about the IR35 implications (even if there are none, acting a bit naive may help you get to the actual reason).
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It could be that they want to check for evidence you weren't working during the 4 month gap on the CV, to ensure you aren't trying to hide something from them such as a dodgy job or one where you don't want them asking for references.

I've had to provide bank statements in the past but usually as part of a bigger identity and background check process. I redacted certain info after determining what the purpose of providing the info was for. They only wanted proof of address (on official documentation) and bank account in positive balance (so not up to eyeballs in debt) with recent activity (so not a dormant account but one used for regular transactions). They weren't bothered I'd blacked out the specific transaction info other than amounts.

So find out what they need it for and redact anything they don't need. Reduces chance of fraud if the statements fall into the wrong hands where some bank checks ask for recent transaction details.

Also check how GDPR means they have to handle such info in a specific way and that they are aware of that and what they'll do to protect your information.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X