• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 month contract with BT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For my part, I have had gigs through Experis, and while they have asked for, (and received) company bank statements, they have never asked for personal ones.

For my part, I couldn't care less what they asked for, and nor could I be bothered with asking for their rationale, as the person doing the asking will rarely if ever be the owner of the rationale.

Just send them what they want and look forward to the gig.

As for the sarcasm, just add all the owners of such to your ignore list and it magically goes away.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      You don't know much about the world, do you?
      No idea what you mean by that

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      It's a fairly simple calculation, though. You either think the gig is worth it or you don't.
      Agree.

However, I was only pointing out the validity of the request, in terms of achieving its supposed purpose, and was making no comment as to whether a contractor should supply these personal data, because the agency holds the whip hand in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        ...So find out what they need it for and redact anything they don't need.
        This is probably the best way ahead.

They generally ask for this kind of stuff so as to ensure you've not been detained at Her Majesty's pleasure.
        Just allow the bank transaction history, but redact balances if you don't want them to know this info.

Which part of BT is this for btw?

Although there was a lot of paperwork to complete prior to starting, I don't recall providing that kind of info when I was with them a couple of yrs ago, although that was via a different agency.
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
          No idea what you mean by that

Agree.

However, I was only pointing out the validity of the request, in terms of achieving its supposed purpose, and was making no comment as to whether a contractor should supply these personal data, because the agency holds the whip hand in this case.
          I was only suggesting a possible reason for the request. Unfortunately the OP didn’t ask why they wanted the info. Everything after that by him, me, or you is just guesswork and conjecture.

We only have his version of the story to go by and any past experiences we may have. I had suggested that it could be to prove he hadn’t been in prison. It could also be to prove hi identity over the last 12 months, there could be a miriad of possibilities why. But we don’t know.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If I had been in prison my wife would still have been making payments from my account so what do bank statements prove.

Comment

If an individual is supplying his/her own bank statements, then by definition this is a personal arrangement and not a B2B transaction. I've supplied bank statements to get a gig in a bank, and was quite happy to get that IR35-fail gig after having been on the bench for a few months.

Better to be a disguised employee than a fake business with no income.

Comment

Rubbish. You can have a B2B contract but vet the risk of the individual going on site.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'd say this is rubbish as well.

You worked in a bank and put yourself inside IR35 because you were asked to provide a personal bank statement to prove you weren't in jail when you were on the bench ? Really ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
                    If I had been in prison my wife would still have been making payments from my account so what do bank statements prove.
                    They don't prove anything at all. That's not the point. Somebody designing the checklist asks how they are going to mitigate the risk that six months on the bench might have been 6 months in prison. Somebody else says 'ask for their bank statements ... we can see if they've been to the supermarket'. It's no more sinister than that and nothing to be worried/concerned about.

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
                      They don't prove anything at all. That's not the point. Somebody designing the checklist asks how they are going to mitigate the risk that six months on the bench might have been 6 months in prison. Somebody else says 'ask for their bank statements ... we can see if they've been to the supermarket'. It's no more sinister than that and nothing to be worried/concerned about.
                      That's what crb checks are for.

Comment

Working...
                      X