• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruiters not responding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it’s any consolation, many of us have been in the same situation (and don’t you just hate those pompous contractors who earn 2 grand a day and have not had any time on the bench in a decade? Do you bask in their magnificence as they give their tips on what you’re doing wrong and how playing golf with the head of the CBI was their breakthrough move? Or do you think a spot of bench-time would prick their pompous balloons?)

I’ve come to realise that there are only two types of contractor: those on contract and those not on contract. When you’re on contract it all seems so easy; opportunities abound and your confidence is sky high. When you’re not on contract you enter the seventh circle of hell that is CVs, agents, the black hole of application disappearance and the inevitable warchest depletion. A few months of this and you start to doubt yourself. Even if you have a large warchest, just a few months of absolutely zero coming in has a psychological effect as you see your bank balance stepping down.

Not sure if you’re here for advice or to vent.
    If you’re here to vent then go ahead. It can be cathartic. If you’re here for advice then the only advice I can give you is to keep plugging away. It’s almost certainly nothing to do with your CV or your skills: there are just too many wannabe contractors applying for every single role, clogging up the pipeline. Odds are your CV isn’t even being looked at.

Comment

You're not doing anything wrong. Relax and keep banging away.

The hardest thing I think about being on the bench is when you start to doubt yourself. It's an easy cycle to get in. Best of luck.

Comment

The banking market is bad in London; Brexit round the corner, interest rates pretty flat and very low are leading to cost-cutting. Good luck.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Try NPSO

Originally posted by BiggieBig View Post
          Is the PM market in IT that bad.

I've made my CV searchable on Jobserve and posted at least 30-40 what I believe relevant jobs.
          And not a single call ..

even tied calling a few agents only to be told they either busy or on holiday and will call me if I'm suitable.

I must be doing something wrong ;-(
          Try NPSO (taken over control of FPS/CHAPS/C&CCC/BACS) and are currently recruiting for 12 payment workstreams to use the NPA - Could last for years

and could be the last payments project in town !!!!

Comment

It appears this isn't the first time you've complained about this.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/busi...ml#post1943332

With the first problem being quite awhile ago I'd say the state of the market isn't the issue. Maybe look at what other common factors are still in play between the two dates if you get where I'm going
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X