• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance for limited company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance for limited company

Hi everyone,

I think this is a simple question, but struggling to get a definitive answer...

I am director of a limited company for which I am also the only shareholder. I have a single 2-way contract with an agency and my client. No one else is involved in the company. Would someone mind explaininig whether I need employer’s liability insurance? I don’t know if I count as an employee too, and whether that means I legally need the insurance... for context, it’s not a requirement in my 2 way contract.

Many thanks
    Zack

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse40.pdf

Page 3/4, you're probably exempt.

Comment

Are you an ice hockey or basketball player?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Are you an ice hockey or basketball player?
        Or a gladiator or radiator bleeder?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Or a gladiator or radiator bleeder?
          Not really. Just trying to find what a 2 way contract is and according to Google the OP must be a professional athlete in the US.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zackzzz View Post
            Hi everyone,

I am director of a limited company for which I am also the only shareholder. I have a single 2-way contract with an agency and my client. No one else is involved in the company. Would someone mind explaininig whether I need employer’s liability insurance? I don’t know if I count as an employee too, and whether that means I legally need the insurance... for context, it’s not a requirement in my 2 way contract.

Many thanks
            Zack
            Who would insure your substitute ?

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
              Who would insure your substitute ?
              Precisely. If you have anyone working for you in any capacity then ELI is necessary but not otherwise*. It's not exactly expensive anyway.

*There is a very obscure argument that not having ELI invalidates any RoS clauses. Can't see it myself, as long as it's in place if you do substitute yourself.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by zackzzz View Post
                Hi everyone,

Many thanks
                Zack

I would check the terms of the agency contract as its often in there that you must have EL, PL & PII

Comment

Working...
                X