Call to NATO contractors abroad Belguim Call to NATO contractors abroad Belguim - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 15 of 15

Should post faster

Quick question

if one went as a FTCer would they be covered under this agreement?

Still gathering requirements...

I have contracted in brussels, although not for Nato - avoid is my advice

Its an awful place, I have worked all over the world and the UK and Brussels was the worst place I have worked.

Still gathering requirements...

Wales....Land of God, Sheep, Song and f*&k all coal :-(

Default Same boat....

I'm 4 weeks into a 6 month contract in Brussels...end client is NATO but my client is a defence company....
    Few people, UK, other EU and US citizens in the office have gone through the following process and are 100% adament that it results in you just using your UK Ltd company as normal, paying UK (or where-ever) corporation tax etc (remember that VAT is 0% rated on your invoice though...)

1. Go to SHAPE in Mons and ask for a AMIS pass - if you are direct to NATO this is straight forward, if you are a sub-contractor then your client needs to request an 'invite' from Mons
    2. Register at the Mons commune - REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU LIVE (it appears this is an accepted 'dodge' with most people putting the SHAPE office down as their 'address'
    3. When registering at the Mons commune, make sure you are recorded as a CROSS BORDER WORKER
    4. Return to SHAPE and wait for your pass

I've been told to allow three days for the process - sitting in offices and travelling betweeen SHAPE and the Mons commune.

It then appears, that as a 'NATO' worker, and clssified as a 'Cross border worker' the Belgian tax authorities wipe their hands of you and allow you to just invoice via the UK.

While I haven't gone through this myself around 6 or 7 other contractors working for my client swear they've worked like this (up to several years) without any problems.

FYI: I'm waiting for my 'invite' to apply for an AMIS (NATO) pass and am hoping to go through the process in the next week or two - Ill update with what happens! If it doesn't work, then I'll not be stsaying longer than 6 months.....

Nervous Newbie

Hi, David, have you managed to get your AMIS pass and confirm that with the crossborder status you are considered a non-resident and the belgian tax man will not follow you?

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by David71 View Post
    I'm 4 weeks into a 6 month contract in Brussels...end client is NATO but my client is a defence company....
    Few people, UK, other EU and US citizens in the office have gone through the following process and are 100% adament that it results in you just using your UK Ltd company as normal, paying UK (or where-ever) corporation tax etc (remember that VAT is 0% rated on your invoice though...)

1. Go to SHAPE in Mons and ask for a AMIS pass - if you are direct to NATO this is straight forward, if you are a sub-contractor then your client needs to request an 'invite' from Mons
    2. Register at the Mons commune - REGARDLESS OF WHERE YOU LIVE (it appears this is an accepted 'dodge' with most people putting the SHAPE office down as their 'address'
    3. When registering at the Mons commune, make sure you are recorded as a CROSS BORDER WORKER
    4. Return to SHAPE and wait for your pass

I've been told to allow three days for the process - sitting in offices and travelling betweeen SHAPE and the Mons commune.

It then appears, that as a 'NATO' worker, and clssified as a 'Cross border worker' the Belgian tax authorities wipe their hands of you and allow you to just invoice via the UK.

While I haven't gone through this myself around 6 or 7 other contractors working for my client swear they've worked like this (up to several years) without any problems.

FYI: I'm waiting for my 'invite' to apply for an AMIS (NATO) pass and am hoping to go through the process in the next week or two - Ill update with what happens! If it doesn't work, then I'll not be stsaying longer than 6 months.....
    Hi David,

can you share your experience in SHAPE please? Did you manage to pay uk tax only and if there any extra tax you need to pay?and what about expense claim such as accommodation etc?

Would be great to hear from you as lots of people said avoid Belgium, however NATO might be different.

Thanks