• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Call to NATO contractors abroad Belguim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If you are working through a UK defence contractor, then it is possible you are not subject to Belgian tax provided you are commuting and don't qualify as permanently resident.
    Most contracts go through companies on the framework, that are in Bulgaria, then onto a prime contracting company. So you contract to one company, who provides Payroll, and HR function, then onto another who has the contract with NATO. As a frontier worker, you are only liable for tax in the UK, even after 2 years, you will never be liable to BE for tax. The fixed term positions pay no tax at all, and are registered in BE, with protocol ID, and get VAT free goods in camp carrefour, tax free fags/booze and fuel, though the pay is far less than interim contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatler View Post
      Go to commune with contract, and get LIMOSA/ANNEX 15 letter, costs nothing, this allows you to work in BE as a frontier worker, takes 20 mins, you need a passport photo. Yes say SHAPE INN as address, no one will check, even if you are renting a private property.
      Yes the taxation is done in UK, via LTD company, claiming expenses (first 2 years), so £715 salary, rest is expenses. You will not pay any BE tax, no contractors do, and the Mons commune is fully used to SHAPE contractors.

Has it changed after Brexit? Not sure, it's very confusing. I think those of us who were here last year, are ok, we got annex15 letters at end of 2019 that ended 31/12/2020, but were issued unlimited ones again last year, with no end date, it may be different for new UK contractors coming here.

Thanks Tatler - Good shout on the Annex 15 - just did some reading up on it.

Is there any supporting documentation specifically relating to frontier workers + taxation that you're aware of on the Belgian goverment sites? Or is it more of a case that this approach is taken because the commune assume that NATO people don't pay tax and therefore don't really question it?

What's got me worried is that (despite being dual national Belgian/British and they already have all my details in their register) the information on the other Belgian posts here contradicts the Taxation bit quoting "You pay Belgian tax on your Belgian sourced income" as well as the 183 rule referenced specifically stipulates that Belgium refuses to recognise single person PSCs as a LTD company in it's own right.

There's also no information that I've been able to find on HMRC about this.

"The 183-day rule is only applicable to dependent workers – those able to prove that they are in a full employment contract with the company in question. It does not apply to self-employed or independent workers. Those operating through a personal service company (PSC) abroad are also unable to use this rule and will instead be required to become a tax resident in the host country once the contract begins. This applies for the company, its director and any employees. Contractors themselves also risk paying the host country income tax and social security on their entire global earnings as well as corporate tax on all profits by operating through a PSC outside their home country. And, of course, should these workers choose to use a PSC which is not registered in the host destination, they risk fines, penalties, back-dated liabilities and potential jail time."

Not to mention the horror stories of the taxman coming personally after you years later because they don't recognise the LTD company and chasing you 10%/month fines

The setup I'm being approached with so far:

me (Single person PSC) -> Romanian Agency -> *maybe someone else who knows* -> NATO

Cheers

Alex
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 May 2021, 16:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex87 View Post
        Thanks Tatler - Good shout on the Annex 15 - just did some reading up on it.

Is there any supporting documentation specifically relating to frontier workers + taxation that you're aware of on the Belgian goverment sites? Or is it more of a case that this approach is taken because the commune assume that NATO people don't pay tax and therefore don't really question it?

What's got me worried is that (despite being dual national Belgian/British and they already have all my details in their register) the information on the other Belgian posts here contradicts the Taxation bit quoting "You pay Belgian tax on your Belgian sourced income" as well as the 183 rule referenced specifically stipulates that Belgium refuses to recognise single person PSCs as a LTD company in it's own right.

There's also no information that I've been able to find on HMRC about this.

"The 183-day rule is only applicable to dependent workers – those able to prove that they are in a full employment contract with the company in question. It does not apply to self-employed or independent workers. Those operating through a personal service company (PSC) abroad are also unable to use this rule and will instead be required to become a tax resident in the host country once the contract begins. This applies for the company, its director and any employees. Contractors themselves also risk paying the host country income tax and social security on their entire global earnings as well as corporate tax on all profits by operating through a PSC outside their home country. And, of course, should these workers choose to use a PSC which is not registered in the host destination, they risk fines, penalties, back-dated liabilities and potential jail time."

Not to mention the horror stories of the taxman coming personally after you years later because they don't recognise the LTD company and chasing you 10%/month fines

The setup I'm being approached with so far:

me (Single person PSC) -> Romanian Agency -> *maybe someone else who knows* -> NATO

Cheers

Alex
        Treat it as a LTD UK company sending you on assignment, forget the BE authorities and any BE taxation, it is not because NATO, it is because you are on a temp assignment, as a cross border worker, from a UK ltd company. We all work to an agency who provides payroll and HR function (Enterpryze/Vector/Brevco, mostly owned by one guy <modsnip>), who then in turn contract to another company, who contract to NATO/NCIA. PM me if you want more info, i don't get on here much.
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 May 2021, 16:41.

Comment

Scrap the annex 15 advice as above, any NEW BRIT contractors coming to SHAPE, or indeed anywhere in BE, need to now register their LTD company in Belgium for tax purposes, and apply for a work permit for the employee sent here. Existing contractors were issued an Annex15 last year, which will last 5 years, as a transition, then they will also need to register same. Cross border/frontier workers, no longer exist, at least new ones for now.

Comment

mostly owned by one guy <modsnip>
            Please don't mention him on any forum I read....last conversation I had with him ended with him offering to kick me in the b@ll$ while shouting how much of a 'c' word I was. Trust me, I was in the right and he wasn't!

Vector are pretty good though you need to give their contracts a good look over.

Also there's at least two agencies now operating via UK subsidiaries so even though you still go through the EU based people when interviewing and filling in forms etc. the invoicing is now done via a UK company in GBP rather than some odd Macedonian or Bulgarian entity in Euro. Not sure how this is going to work in practise as you are still a UK Ltd based in De haag / Shape etc. I hope it's ok as I'm currently going for a role under this set-up!

Comment

Guys, i have just been given the nod (but no contract) that i could have picked up a contract in shape. Could someone point me in the direction of a good accountant / tax advisor ? Last year I was simply going to use my limited company ...however things have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by wakeupjester View Post
                Guys, i have just been given the nod (but no contract) that i could have picked up a contract in shape. Could someone point me in the direction of a good accountant / tax advisor ? Last year I was simply going to use my limited company ...however things have changed.
                I use https://www.google.com/search?q=cobe...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Not sure if things have changed though, you will still need a Ltd company, no need to register for VAT anymore though.

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post

Please don't mention him on any forum I read....last conversation I had with him ended with him offering to kick me in the b@ll$ while shouting how much of a 'c' word I was. Trust me, I was in the right and he wasn't!

Vector are pretty good though you need to give their contracts a good look over.

Also there's at least two agencies now operating via UK subsidiaries so even though you still go through the EU based people when interviewing and filling in forms etc. the invoicing is now done via a UK company in GBP rather than some odd Macedonian or Bulgarian entity in Euro. Not sure how this is going to work in practise as you are still a UK Ltd based in De haag / Shape etc. I hope it's ok as I'm currently going for a role under this set-up!
                  LOL ya, he went off the scale at me in 2008 when i accepted a contract in Afghanistan, then after he booked flights etc, i renaged as the current mob wanted me to stay. He is a multi millionaire on the back of mostly nato contracts, there are some slimy gits work for him too.

Comment

Originally posted by wakeupjester View Post
                    For some reason i cannot reply to your PM, i guess i need a certain amount of posts first?

Comment

For some reason i cannot reply to your PM, i guess i need a certain amount of posts first?
                      oh, crap ... I best start posting then. I've contracted for many years but never abroad... and used this site for years too but never posted. Cheers for the heads-up on the tax consultants.

Comment

Working...
                      X