• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency want to change my start date 2 months into my contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
    Just had a bizarre voicemail from my agency who have said that they are doing a couple of audit checks. Apparently my contract renewal start date is 'wrong' and should start on the 1st April 2018 instead of the 3rd April. The reason I asked the end client to start it on the 3rd was because the 1st was a Sunday and the 2nd a bank holiday, so I didn't want to lose 2 days in pay (I don't work on weekends or bank holidays). They agreed to it and I've been working the contract since with no mention of a date change being wrong by the agency. I'm baffled as the date is in the past but worried about the implications? I'm not sure what difference it makes now. The message went on to say to call agent back to allow the change as they need my permission.

Should I ignore this? I have had nothing in writing or any reason why it needs to be changed. This is the second request for change due to 'audit' reasons from my agency. The last was a few months ago when they suddenly decided 4 months into my original contract that they wanted me to provide referee details for every contract I have had over 3 years, even though I had my accountant send a reference letter to cover the period which was acceptable at the time of my onboarding/ screening criteria. I refused to provide them because it again was pointless when they had already accepted my original reference and agreed to my contract. I never heard from them again. Until now. Is this legitimate practice?
    What has the end client got to do with the start date in your contract which is with the agency? What you are trying to do is in effect extend the contract end date as well. Im not surprised the agency are kicking off. Frankly, Ive never heard of what you are attempting to do before either.

Comment

I wouldn't be concerned about 2 days - mountains out of molehills...

It's immaterial...imho, of course
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Just re-thought this one. Bear in mind all this info is from a voicemail and nothing more, why don't you ring them and get some details first. There could be a pretty straightforward reason or it could plainly be total BS. Surely you are better off finding out before hitting the forum with half a story?

Ignoring the company you are contracted to is not very smart.

Find more details then come back to us so we can give you more than a guess.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just had a bizarre voicemail from my agency who have said that they are doing a couple of audit checks. Apparently my contract renewal start date is 'wrong' and should start on the 1st April 2018 instead of the 3rd April. The reason I asked the end client to start it on the 3rd was because the 1st was a Sunday and the 2nd a bank holiday, so I didn't want to lose 2 days in pay (I don't work on weekends or bank holidays). They agreed to it and I've been working the contract since with no mention of a date change being wrong by the agency. I'm baffled as the date is in the past but worried about the implications? I'm not sure what difference it makes now. The message went on to say to call agent back to allow the change as they need my permission.
          What's the end date on the contract? Did that change by two days as well? If it did then there's your reason for wanting it changed back.

But since everyone accepted the contract then both / all of you will need to agree to a new version, which is why they want to talk to you.

Give them a ring and discuss it rather than ignoring them.
          I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Well the agency phoned me again today, although he had failed to respond to my email this morning querying the date change. All seemed ok, they just need to align the dates with what they originally had oon their systems. Doesn't really make any sense but there you go. The only concern was that he kept talking about the end date being 10 days after the original which I said is not right but he 'would confirm it.' This all comes after me taking a 2 week holiday abroad and returning this week. Maybe I'm being paranoid but it feels as though they're expecting me to work longer to make up for the holiday!!!!

Comment

Well the agency phoned me again today, although he had failed to respond to my email this morning querying the date change. All seemed ok, they just need to align the dates with what they originally had oon their systems. Doesn't really make any sense but there you go. The only concern was that he kept talking about the end date being 10 days after the original which I said is not right but he 'would confirm it.' This all comes after me taking a 2 week holiday abroad and returning this week. Maybe I'm being paranoid but it feels as though they're expecting me to work longer to make up for the holiday!!!!
              So he did respond to your email. He rang you. Like you should have done him in the first place.

Instead of feeling paranoid why don't you ask them straight. I'd be more than happy for a client to extend my contract by the number of holidays.

You need to step up. You can't do business like this.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Maybe I'm being paranoid but it feels as though they're expecting me to work longer to make up for the holiday!!!!
                Uh? This is a bad thing?

Comment

Maybe I'm being paranoid but it feels as though they're expecting me to work longer to make up for the holiday!!!!
                  This can happen when a Purchase Order for a Work Package is organised based on 'a number days to be worked and billed', as opposed to a straight, time elapsed sort of contract.

I have taken holiday, and irrespective of an end date on the contract, further days can be billed to the same purchase order.

Either way, sounds like you're covered.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    This can happen when a Purchase Order for a Work Package is organised based on 'a number days to be worked and billed', as opposed to a straight, time elapsed sort of contract.

I have taken holiday, and irrespective of an end date on the contract, further days can be billed to the same purchase order.

Either way, sounds like you're covered.

Yep, my current contract was for xx days over 3 months. Client didn't have that amount of work for me within the time frame so has extended for another 3 months where the days are expected to be used up. Will see what happens then, either more days budgeted for or I look for another contract.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X