• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any Go(lang) developers here? How's it going?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Go(lang) developers here? How's it going?

Hey guys,

I'm a Go dev and 3 months into a 6 month gig.. it's going good and I enjoy the language. It appears the market is pretty buoyant at the moment too..

Just wondering how others are going with Go around London/City and FinTech also.

It's cool and i'm happy to work on various tech and not really a one show pony (I hope/think) so if it flops I can probably move to something else..

My experience is that there is a huge variety of projects and also experience levels in Go, which leads to debate and consternation.. I guess that is programming the world over right!?

Up for debate: Do you think Go is a flash in the pan trend kind of like Ruby on Rails was or do you think it's got a much stronger foundation and is here to stay as a staple in the development of systems and services? I think it is but I am biased..

Cheers folks..

I don't work in Go but considered it some time ago when the market was stagnant and my recent experience (Testing/Test Automation/Developer in Test) didn't get me any calls. But I decided to go with BigData stack rather than Go. The reason being, my time invested on learning Dart (a language developed by Google) earlier didn't pay off. On the core stack, many Fintech are still with Java and/or C#, C++ and may take their time to switch to Go. Because there are no compelling use cases to switch (at least as for as I know).

Testing/Test Automation market is filled with cheap labour and the supply exceeds demand. Although I struggled a lot to move to BigData, it was the best decision and is paying well (Really well!).
    Last edited by BigDataPro; 24 June 2018, 15:51.

Comment

Currently a Nodejs employee, looking to pick up Golang and practice in my own time alongside work, before moving into Golang + Nodejs + Cloud contracts in 12-18 months. I've seen Go contracts paying up to £700pd.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
        I don't work in Go but considered it some time ago when the market was stagnant and my recent experience (Testing/Test Automation/Developer in Test) didn't get me any calls. But I decided to go with BigData stack rather than Go. The reason being, my time invested on learning Dart (a language developed by Google) earlier didn't pay off. On the core stack, many Fintech are still with Java and/or C#, C++ and may take their time to switch to Go. Because there are no compelling use cases to switch (at least as for as I know).

Testing/Test Automation market is filled with cheap labour and the supply exceeds demand. Although I struggled a lot to move to BigData, it was the best decision and is paying well (Really well!).
        Cool, how did you cross train to BigData and what stack are you using now? Are you kind of like a engineer working on BigData tech or are you actually doing more Data Science type work? When you say struggle, what did that look like? I often consider moving to other areas but not sure how much of a hustle it will be. For example, I wouldn't mind moving into something like Salesforce implementation, customisation.

Originally posted by dankmemes View Post
        Currently a Nodejs employee, looking to pick up Golang and practice in my own time alongside work, before moving into Golang + Nodejs + Cloud contracts in 12-18 months. I've seen Go contracts paying up to £700pd.
        I would recommend it. While Go certainly has it's own crosses to bear, it's quite enjoyable to use and seems in high demand (but for how long!?). Yes, there seems to be high day rates out there but 500-600 is the normal range I think.

I'm currently on 450 (first contract) and not sure what to do when my contract expires in September.

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
          a flash in the pan trend kind of like Ruby on Rails was
          I'd question this. I've been working with Ruby on Rails for 10+ years and there is still a lot of work around. Maybe not so much in startups as it was, but it's not been a "flash in the pan trend"

Comment

Originally posted by t0bytoo View Post
            I'd question this. I've been working with Ruby on Rails for 10+ years and there is still a lot of work around. Maybe not so much in startups as it was, but it's not been a "flash in the pan trend"
            RoR work certainly dried up. Most are switching to Elixir/Phoenix stack.

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
              Cool, how did you cross train to BigData and what stack are you using now? Are you kind of like a engineer working on BigData tech or are you actually doing more Data Science type work? When you say struggle, what did that look like? I often consider moving to other areas but not sure how much of a hustle it will be. For example, I wouldn't mind moving into something like Salesforce implementation, customisation.. .
              I currently use most of the big data stack such as Hive, Impala, Spark, Cassandra etc. Although I apply ML algorithms, I don't develop them. I am just an user of existing ML algorithms.

When switching from one area of expertise to another, the hard part is "showing experience". I see truth as "that which is harmless to others" or "that which yields benefit to the client"

Comment

Working...
              X