• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV gap - agency asking for bank statements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NCOTBAC View Post
    Can someone translate this for me please?
    eeza sockie innit peeps
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

A couple of months ago I landed a contract with the bank who I do both my personal and business banking with - and have done for about 20 years or so! They wanted bank statements, their statements. I asked why they couldn't just check their own records, but told it wasn't possible. As I only do online banking, they insisted that I print off my statements that their system generated, take it into one of their branches, so a member of their staff could verify, sign and stamp it and then email a scan of the stamped statements to them. They then took a whole 4 weeks to carry out their background checks!
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
        A couple of months ago I landed a contract with the bank who I do both my personal and business banking with - and have done for about 20 years or so! They wanted bank statements, their statements. I asked why they couldn't just check their own records, but told it wasn't possible. As I only do online banking, they insisted that I print off my statements that their system generated, take it into one of their branches, so a member of their staff could verify, sign and stamp it and then email a scan of the stamped statements to them. They then took a whole 4 weeks to carry out their background checks!
        Its beyond ridiculous now! If you provide bank statements to a 3rd party vetting company they cannot legally verify they are real or not just a photoshop cut n paste job (with the parts you do not wish to share removed) as your Bank will not usually under any circumstance confirm or deny due to GPDR & other privacy laws UNLESS its for law enforcement that is!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Basically his attitude is to be “economical with the truth”, don’t quote the month of the year you were at a client, but just the year. So a 3 month contract from 01/12/14 to 01/03/15 would go on the CV as 2014-2015, which, if you did nothing else for those years might imply that you were there for 2 full years, not 3 months.

If you’re going to do that, then I’d suggest the CV should be a list of years with a list of clients per year. No point in going into detail, and you don’t want to give the agent/client any information that might be pertinent.
          Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Straight in the bin, doesn't get an interview. Simples.
          Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          They may make you "seek" but is deliberately concealing and lying on your CV the most professional thing to do?
          Just checked my CV
          SUMMARY
          TECHNICAL SKILLS
          PROJECT EXPERIENCE

2015-2018
          A (23 months, 4 extensions)

2014-2015
          B (14 months, 2 extensions)

2008-2014
          C (4 months, 2 extensions)

D (5 months, 2 extensions)

While not using month level of details I state duration of every project.
          Because of that CV section is designated to exposure my project experience but not my working history. Working history format is for villeins.

I do not see any rational for asking bank statements. Personal ones is too personal and instead of business statements a Companies House (aka credit) check looks much more sensible.

Comment

Business bank statements can't be used to verify personal id, as an incorporated business is a separate legal entity from a person.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Business bank statements can't be used to verify personal id, as an incorporated business is a separate legal entity from a person.
              Passport I believe will be more straight solution to verify personal id.
              Maybe personal bank statements may help with address verification as a part of identity
              but that thread about using them for CV gaps that still look inadequate request for me.

Maybe they want to see there is no levy transactions
              Working for an outside employer while still in prison - theInfoHub by Unlock | for people with convictions and criminal recordstheInfoHub by Unlock | for people with convictions and criminal records
              But I think I could use another bank account while doing a remote gig from a jail?

Comment

Ref dates on projects and perm jobs I was always taught to state years only but not months, whether you've got gaps or not. I guess it's a judgement call and each to his own but I tend to think that including months makes it look a bit messy. If you include months it could sometimes be difficult to get the title, name of company and dates of a project all on one line and thus consume too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                  Hi all,

I'm new-ish to contracting. I have a short gap on my CV (3 months), and the agency has asked me for bank statements as proof - they said it was the clients policy. I took time out as my mother was unwell, so spent some time with her and with family, alongside taking some general time out to re-assess my career. Also helped a friend voluntarily, as he was setting up a business.

I told the agency, that I wont provide bank statements as its very private/confidential information i.e. I don't want anyone to know how much money I have and what I spend it on!

My current employer/agency, didn't ask for such information.

Any advice on what I could do? I do for example have a 2nd bank account, that I use for small bits and bobs - maybe i could provide that if push comes to shove? Seen as they did not specify what account it has to be, and considering that people often have multiple bank accounts.

Cheers,

S.
                  I used to work as a recruiter. Some companies do have a policy that any gaps longer than 3 months have to be accounted for in some way.

They're actually checking to see that you haven't been fired or had some disciplinary matter with a previous employer/client, and you're trying to hide it by just leaving it out of your CV. Believe me, this is a common tactic by people trying to hide these issues.

Just be upfront/honest. They have no problem with people taking a 3 month break.

Comment

Originally posted by FK1 View Post
                    There is no legal requirement for you to notify your bank that you are in prison

If you are on remand there are no restrictions on the types of banking transaction you can make. You can continue to make any personal or business transactions that you would ordinarily make.

Managing an external bank account while in prison
                    Managing an external bank account while in prison - theInfoHub by Unlock | for people with convictions and criminal recordstheInfoHub by Unlock | for people with convictions and criminal records

I do not see any sense in asking bank statements. It demonstrates nothing.

If that about screening then that should be treated more straight-forward.
                    Get a copy of your police records
                    https://www.gov.uk/copy-of-police-records
                    https://www.acro.police.uk/subject_access.aspx
                    P.S.
                    acro:
                    Which one is intended then?

That kids in agencies make me seek. The most unprofessional occupation.
                    They're not checking to see whether people have been in prison.

They're suspicious that the applicant has had a really bad experience with a previous employer/client, and has just left it off their CV in case the recruiter tries to contact them.

And this happens a lot. I was a recruiter for about 2-3 years after I finished University - classic first job! - and whenever there was a gap in a CV this was actually, nearly always the reason why. Applicants not wanting recruiters to contact employers that they had a bad experience with

Comment

And this is why you need to be honest, put it on your CV and make sure that you have good reference from someone senior in the Death March project.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X