• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving contract big problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yup. That's quite normal. I'd also point out if you are signed off and are too sick to work for them you are going to open yourself to legal issues if you are found to be working elsewhere. You've lied to your doctor and the old agent so an open and shut case of misrepresentation.
    I didn't lie to the doctor, i told the truth that the hours and role itself would be too stressful for me and that was that. I'm talking about toward the end of the sick note duration, how would the guy even know or find anything out if i signed another contract or took another job? He couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR7987 View Post
      I didn't lie to the doctor, i told the truth that the hours and role itself would be too stressful for me and that was that. I'm talking about toward the end of the sick note duration, how would the guy even know or find anything out if i signed another contract or took another job? He couldn't.
      Unless his mate rings you and you tell him your in a gig... Or you update your LinkedIn.. Or whatever.. Do you feel lucky punk.

Doctors give sick notes based on an event that is yet to happen? Interesting.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Doctors give sick notes based on an event that is yet to happen? Interesting.

Well not necessarily, every situation is subjective i take it and i explained that the hours and role/contract would be too stressful and that i was meant to start it this week but have agreed to cut ties with the client and the agent needs a doctors note to end it, that was that.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR7987 View Post
          Well not necessarily, every situation is subjective i take it and i explained that the hours and role/contract would be too stressful and that i was meant to start it this week but have agreed to cut ties with the client and the agent needs a doctors note to end it, that was that.
          Ah. Interesting. Makes sense.

Comment

In all seriousness and i know I've asked it but you don't think there is any chance this guy could/would find out i'm in another contract with another agency/umbrella company? I'm weighing up every paranoid scenario in my mind that is worrying me, things like agencies and umbrella companies sharing details in the background. I don't even use Linkedin as well and there's no chance of my blurting anything out to.
            There probably will be some people who disapprove of it but i'm sure not the first and wont be the last that has gone ahead and done something similar. At the end of the day it's a possible contract down the line with more money and less hours and no weekend work so i can spend a lot more time with my family, they're the most important things to me not a blackmailing agent who didn't get his cut.

Comment

OK, if it's starting to worry you then it's time to nip this ridiculous thread in the bud.

Apologies if this is a bit straight to the point but you've brought it all on yourself. So let's go back and work through....

So, for starters, no one ever needed a sick note to prove that something might make them sick to get out of a contract. Ever. Period. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The agent is yanking your chain and I bet they are pissing themselves. It's a B2B contract, future sick notes have no place. He's made you look like a proper chump and probably find it as amusing as all of us on here. But to cut the chase he's taking the piss. No more, no less.

He's gone one step further and has now pulled the 'can't work for anyone else' line. I can only image it's just to see how far he can push you. It's just rubbish. You've quit the gig, that's it. Period. It's done.

As I say you've probably brought all this on yourself because you've pissed the agent about and made yourself look ridiculous so he's having some fun. You signed up for a gig and cried about the stress before you've even started. So why sign? You went in to sort it out with the client who you'd only ever seen in an interview. You've wasted the time of a busy medical professional and so on. You see why the agent is having a ball with you?

So.. your options. You've told them you're not taking up the gig so that's done. What do you do next? Well you can do one of three things.

1. You can take his next call and tell him to **** off. He's had his fun now ******* do one. Slam phone down and get on with the new gig..

2. You can send him a mail saying you've supplied all the information you intend to supply and consider the matter closed. Don't contact you again.

3. You block his number and don't pick the phone up to any landline number from the area. Never speak to him again.

2 or 3 is perfectly acceptable.

You've given notice, you've pissed some people about but they are big enough to deal with it. It's over. Nothing else to worry about. Agent might still keep trying to rub you up but either option 2 or 3 will see that off. They WILL NOT take it legal or sue you or anything stupid. Just don't talk to them again.

See.. All sorted. Nothing to worry about.

Personally I'd say you need to get a grip and don't take gigs you can't even start but hey ho..

KTHNXBI

p.s. all that is assuming you aren't trolling which crossed my mind a number of times as this progressed.

Comment

OK, if it's starting to worry you then it's time to nip this ridiculous thread in the bud.

Apologies if this is a bit straight to the point but you've brought it all on yourself. So let's go back and work through....

So, for starters, no one ever needed a sick note to prove that something might make them sick to get out of a contract. Ever. Period. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. The agent is yanking your chain and I bet they are pissing themselves. It's a B2B contract, future sick notes have no place. He's made you look like a proper chump and probably find it as amusing as all of us on here. But to cut the chase he's taking the piss. No more, no less.

He's gone one step further and has now pulled the 'can't work for anyone else' line. I can only image it's just to see how far he can push you. It's just rubbish. You've quit the gig, that's it. Period. It's done.

As I say you've probably brought all this on yourself because you've pissed the agent about and made yourself look ridiculous so he's having some fun. You signed up for a gig and cried about the stress before you've even started. So why sign? You went in to sort it out with the client who you'd only ever seen in an interview. You've wasted the time of a busy medical professional and so on. You see why the agent is having a ball with you?

So.. your options. You've told them you're not taking up the gig so that's done. What do you do next? Well you can do one of three things.

1. You can take his next call and tell him to **** off. He's had his fun now ******* do one. Slam phone down and get on with the new gig..

2. You can send him a mail saying you've supplied all the information you intend to supply and consider the matter closed. Don't contact you again.

3. You block his number and don't pick the phone up to any landline number from the area. Never speak to him again.

You've given notice, you've pissed some people about but they are big enough to deal with it. It's over. Nothing else to worry about. Agent might still keep trying to rub you up but either option 2 or 3 will see that off. They WILL NOT take it legal or sue you or anything stupid. Just don't talk to them again.

Personally I'd say you need to get a grip and don't take gigs you can't even start but hey ho..

KTHNXBI

p.s. all that is assuming you aren't trolling which crossed my mind a number of times as this progressed.
                It's to the point and it's accurate. Side note from me - You say you're new to contracting and left this role without starting, because another was less hours and more pay, I think you just need to get the hours under your belt first before you start chopping and changing contracts. Diving for the highest paid contract your can get from the off can end in tears, if it works out for you then fair play.

Comment

KTHNXBI

How do I nominate this for BestOf?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorScum View Post
                    How do I nominate this for BestOf?
                    Best thing to do is go to this thread...

https://forums.contractoruk.com/gene...ml#post2570657

Hit the star at the bottom of the post, leaving 'I approve' checked and type in something like 'Super smashing great' or words to that effect.

Comment

KTHNXBI

I don't always agree with a lot of your posts, but this x1000.

OP, Why are you letting a recruitment agency bully you because they want their commission?

You need to ask yourself, what end client is going to sue someone to work for them (who haven't started) who doesn't want to work for them in the first place? Could you imagine answering an interview question "Why do you want to work for us" with "I ******* don't want to work with you" and getting the job?

I signed 3 contracts and just told the other two some bogus story as to why I can't do it and then ignored their requests to call them and discuss if we can make it work etc - just ignored them. I notified them I won't be working for them and that's that. They don't like it but they will move on.

You won't get sued, you aren't restricted from working elsewhere, you are wasting your time speaking to the agency. They have only their own interest.

Comment

Working...
                      X