• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotels

Got a gig away from home at the moment. I was just wondering if anyone is aware of any schemes run by hotel chains for one man bands? I'm typically away 3 nights a week.

Obviously I'm trying to keep costs down whilst staying away. A few of the ones I have looked at so far seem to be more aimed at SMEs.

Cheers!

Originally posted by MajesticBadger View Post
    Got a gig away from home at the moment. I was just wondering if anyone is aware of any schemes run by hotel chains for one man bands? I'm typically away 3 nights a week.

Obviously I'm trying to keep costs down whilst staying away. A few of the ones I have looked at so far seem to be more aimed at SMEs.

Cheers!
    Most chains run reward schemes. You won't be getting corporate discounts, but you can use the rewards points to pay for dirty weekends.

If you're a regular then you'll get to know the staff who may well use their discretion to find the best rates for you/supply drinks tokens for the bar etc

Comment

With hotels and B&Bs, it's best to negotiate with the manager. Contacting to the head office will rarely achieve anything.
      I've stayed at Old English Inns before (part of Greene King) and negotiated rates of £40-45 per night including breakfast for places with a rack rate of £85-90.

It's also worthwhile looking on Booking.com to find places and then once you've stayed there the first time, then book direct.

The other alternate is staying in a big chain, seeing if your end client has a discount code for them, then using that, while collecting reward points.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        The other alternate is staying in a big chain, seeing if your end client has a discount code for them, then using that, while collecting reward points.

Doesn't necessarily need to be a big chain. Depending on location of client and how often they use contractors there may well be local hotels offering a discount during the week knowing it's a solid stream of income if they are otherwise only busy at weekends.

So worth asking around at client both with the permies that handle any corporate visits and any other contractors that have been there a while.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Travelodge do a business account, making paying easy - you could ask about a block booking at the hotel, as others have said.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Depends on where you are staying too. I was talking to someone at the Double-Tree in Milton Keynes who said if she could, she'd build another 7 hotels for Tuesday and Wednesday nights but she'd have to knock them down for Friday and Saturday nights. Consequently, the rates for those nights don't come down irrespective of how many nights ahead you want to book.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
              Depends on where you are staying too. I was talking to someone at the Double-Tree in Milton Keynes who said if she could, she'd build another 7 hotels for Tuesday and Wednesday nights but she'd have to knock them down for Friday and Saturday nights. Consequently, the rates for those nights don't come down irrespective of how many nights ahead you want to book.
              Which is what philthegreek is saying. If you can negotiate with the manager of the local franchise (and bar premier inn all chains are really branded local franchisees) they may be able to offer you a better rate for a long term regular booking. Otherwise you are left with whatever the computer offers you for that week. Which is why that Hilton isn’t interested, the nights you stay they could fill regardless.

Comment

Travelodge business account gives 5% discount, plus occasional email codes for an extra 5% off both flexible and advance saver rates.

Also remember to look at cost of parking, free coffee and decent wifi, as these can make some locations better value than others, even within the same chain. Premier Inn's 'Free' wifi is 0.5Mbs... , some Travelodges have free coffee and others don't, parking even near to airports can vary from free and secure to expensive and offsite.

Oh, and room rates fluctuate both throughout the week and seasonally, so consider how your expenses might jack up during summer school holidays.

Comment

Have you thought about serviced apartments?

In my opinion much better than a hotel. If you get to know the owner then you can do a deal direct, they will be the one meeting you with the keys. I booked my current one through cheaphotels.com, liked the place, knew that I would be staying for at least six months, met the owner, did a deal at 20% less the cheaphotels price. He's happy as he gets regular custom, I'm happy as I know where I'm staying each week. Win win
                  "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Find a pub with rooms from laterooms or booking.com. Ring directly and ask for a price. If you’re drinking in their bar and eating their food, as well as being a regular income stream they’ll likely give you a good discount.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X