• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can the company i contract for cut my contract short because i wouldnt go full time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take the permie job until you find a new contract.

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
      Please don't do this.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
        Welcome to the perils of contracting as others have said.

When I see a contract term mentioned, I only see that as an indicator as to the estimated amount of work/budget of the client. As others have said, the notice period is the main indicator of security (or lack thereof)

There are so many reasons why a contract can be cut short:

* Politics
        * Lack of contractor performance
        * Budget constraints
        * Perm employee found
        * (Some random unexplainable reason)
        * The list goes on..
        The client hires a better contractor and then bins you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          The client hires a better contractor and then bins you.
          Hehe another good one and surprised I didn't think of it.

I am wondering if that's going to happen me at the moment..

Comment

Cheers for the replies everyone.
            Im pretty new to contracting and guess im learning the hard way in this case.
            The permie role they have offered me is actually very good, but its more the way theyve went about it thats leaving a bad taste in my mouth. Also the fact that if i take it ill be sitting with 3 other guys still on contract that probably arnt of the same level of skill set as me earning more money.
            Have a decision to make i suppose. Not the worst situation to be in but also not ideal since ivr only just started the contracting journey

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
              Don't do this. It'll be harder to go back to contract without quitting your permie first before looking
              Last edited by chineseJohn; 31 July 2018, 08:28. Reason: opps should have said contract instead of permie

Comment

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
                Don't do this. It'll be harder to go back to permie without quitting your permie first before looking
                I disagree, if they take the permie they will start off on probation for a while - anywhere from 3-6 months.

Probationary notice period will probably be about 1-2 weeks notice.

Just because the client screws with them, doesn't mean they should screw with the client and relinquish a potentially good reference.

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
                  I disagree, if they take the permie they will start off on probation for a while - anywhere from 3-6 months.

Probationary notice period will probably be about 1-2 weeks notice.

Just because the client screws with them, doesn't mean they should screw with the client and relinquish a potentially good reference.
                  The reason he shouldn't take it is he is a contractor. The permie pay is going to be much less and even on probation period the notice period will be putting blockers in the way. Even with a week or 2 weeks he could be doing himself out of immediate start gigs.

If he wants to be a contractor then be one. Leave the gig and look for another one like we all do. Don't dick about going permie and jumping ship when a contract comes up.

He shouldn't be giving the client as a reference anyway.

Chinesejohn is saying don't go perm as well. He's just used perm instead contractor. I think we are all on the same page here?
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 28 July 2018, 19:16.

Comment

The only reason I said to go permie until something better comes along is because this is pretty much how they have treated you. It's not general advice I would hand out, and tbh it doesn't look good on the CV.

Comment

Tell them you will go permie after six months as you need that time to close your company

Work away and find another contract and leave

Comment

Working...
                      X