• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clients Not showing up for telephone interviews....Is that a thing now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone,

I wondering if anyone has had the experience of applying for a role, speaking to an agent being asked to attend a telephone interview only to the interviewer standing them up.

I just had this happen to me last week for a with a contract for a consultancy.

The senior consultant contact me and apologised and then said they would sort that a new time....that didn't appear.

This has happened to me 3 times.

I've been contracting a quite a long time, but even this lack of professionalism even surprised me.

Has this happened to anyone else?
    Last edited by strawberrysmoothie; 30 July 2018, 16:32.

It’s happened to you once and you’re asking if this is a thing now.

Maybe contact the agent and chase up a new time? Maybe the client is very busy? Maybe they are stalling as they have someone in mind?

They contacted you to apologise. Sounds like they are acting relatively professionally.

Comment

Originally posted by MrButton View Post
      It’s happened to you once and you’re asking if this is a thing now.

Maybe contact the agent and chase up a new time? Maybe the client is very busy? Maybe they are stalling as they have someone in mind?

They contacted you to apologise. Sounds like they are acting relatively professionally.
      Actually, it has happened to me 3 times. I probably should have said that. Once I can understand but 3 times...is odd.

Comment

So one person let's you down and you feel the need to hit the forums and complain?

Many things are more important to a client than an interview. I'd question the professionalism of calling them out for one missed meeting they apologised for TBH.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
          Actually, it has happened to me 3 times. I probably should have said that. Once I can understand but 3 times...is odd.
          Yep should have said that.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's a 'thing' no... it's really bad that it's happened to you 3 times, it's even worse that on each occasion (if I'm reading you right) it was a no-show rather than even a late cancellation.

My reading? They're in the sh1t which is why they're recruiting (I say this because I imagine they're getting repeatedly dragged into other stuff hence missing your call). Persevere, and if you're even halfway a good fit you'll be shoe-in for the job. Whether it's a job you want under those circumstances, slightly separate question - but that's contracting!

Just my two penn'orth.

(Of course, they could be a total arsehole and again, whether that's a job you want...)

Nobody reschedules a call 3 times if they're not intending to have it at some point, however... it's almost so bad it's good. In an incredibly frustrating kind of a way. Still, good to have the interviewer on the back foot by the time you get to speak to them!

Comment

I don't think she means the same guy 3 times... Does she?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Maybe you're right - in some ways I'd be less surprised by it being 3 times and the same person than 3 times (in what I assume is relatively quick succession rather than 'over 20 years'!) with different people. I mean, if it's different people I'd say that's spectacularly unusual. Many negative experiences I have had in applying for gigs but being stood up with no notice at any kind of interview has never happened to me, so I'd like to think it's pretty rare. I mean, being stood up for any kind of arranged appointment or meeting is pretty unusual...

Comment

No, it's not a new thing. Over the past 20 years it's happened to me a few times.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If the client is so incompetent they can't arrange a simple telephone interview and at least contact you or the agent if they can't make it to reschedule, imagine the state of their projects.

So see it as a potential blessing you found out before signing up and getting dragged into their tulip show.

If they do eventually try to reschedule, consider telling the agent you want a higher rate on project risk grounds (i.e. danger money) if this is a sign of things to come with the client.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                    X