• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Building a brand and marketing yourself versus relying on recruiters.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a brand and marketing yourself versus relying on recruiters.

Hello,

I am currently in my first contract, which I received via a recruiter. Since before the role I did set up a website that promoted by core service offerings. This was more of a time filler before I secure a gig and nothing really came from it.

Just wondering should I build on this and build around a few other channels to promote myself to secure other lines of work, outside of typical agency recruitment style contracts. Over the past number of months I have been approached by a number of people to a bit of work here and there but turned it down.

Have many people transitioned from an agency - bum on seat - day rate type business to one where they get clients via their own channels, have multiple clients and the billable time per client fluctuates each month.

I am thinking about moving this way.. I guess you really need to carve out a niche for yourself and be willing to charge plenty to make it through down times.

Over the last few months, contracting has been somewhat liberating but I think the aforementioned model would be even more so, as well as enhanced risk I would guess.

Has any body gone down the alternate route and willing to share their experience?

Ta

Depends on your market, banks and big co’s etc Have preferred suppliers list, so you have zero chance of becoming a supplier, other companies will make you jump through hoops and pull your chain in an ITT just to make up the numbers

What skill do you possess that would make a client pay you 3x a rate of a bum on seat contractor he can get 10 a penny ?

Comment

Do you mean for fixed price deliverables? It was originally my plan to contract on a day rate for a bit and build up this side of my business. But in the end, the risk/reward ration of contracting was so much better that the fixed price work didn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Depends on your market, banks and big co’s etc Have preferred suppliers list, so you have zero chance of becoming a supplier, other companies will make you jump through hoops and pull your chain in an ITT just to make up the numbers

What skill do you possess that would make a client pay you 3x a rate of a bum on seat contractor he can get 10 a penny ?
        Yea, I hear you. I am under no illusions about the reality of getting clients. I don't necessarily possess any special skills. I was just thinking that perhaps there is business to be had where a client needs something built (I'm a software developer), which takes say a fix chunk of time. Then over the next number of months/years, they require a bit of maintenance, support etc as opposed to a fixed number of months in-out contract.

I do imagine that this type of setup would take many many years to build up to the level of income that the alternate contract route would provide, but that would be at the expense of a more flexible lifestyle, I guess. I don't know.

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
        Do you mean for fixed price deliverables? It was originally my plan to contract on a day rate for a bit and build up this side of my business. But in the end, the risk/reward ration of contracting was so much better that the fixed price work didn't make sense.
        Eh, not necessarily fixed price. I see the risk/reward piece is relevant. I am also aware the market is pretty thick with opportunities at the moment..which will certainly not always be the case.

Comment

Do you not think we would all be doing it if it were that easy?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Do you not think we would all be doing it if it were that easy?
            A fairly useless comment!

* I don't know how many people are doing it - i'm just trying to start a healthy discussion about the topic and see if people are doing it and what their experience is.
            * I never said anything about it being easy.. just an alternate approach to generating revenue is all.

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
              A fairly useless comment!

* I don't know how many people are doing it - i'm just trying to start a healthy discussion about the topic and see if people are doing it and what their experience is.
              * I never said anything about it being easy.. just an alternate approach to generating revenue is all.
              Not really. The fact that virtually non of us on here do it is good evidence of how viable it is. Its a completely different model to contracting.

You need to think about what the offering is going to be and then who your market is. Then from there you need to think about how you are going to get your customers and then how to grow.

Look around at the micro consultancies and software houses and see how they work. You are more likely to find they offer a service not just coding.

Then, when you've got a good grasp of how it works then when you've an idea it would be interesting to talk about the finer details and viability.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yea, I hear you. I am under no illusions about the reality of getting clients. I don't necessarily possess any special skills. I was just thinking that perhaps there is business to be had where a client needs something built (I'm a software developer), which takes say a fix chunk of time. Then over the next number of months/years, they require a bit of maintenance, support etc as opposed to a fixed number of months in-out contract.

I do imagine that this type of setup would take many many years to build up to the level of income that the alternate contract route would provide, but that would be at the expense of a more flexible lifestyle, I guess. I don't know.

Eh, not necessarily fixed price. I see the risk/reward piece is relevant. I am also aware the market is pretty thick with opportunities at the moment..which will certainly not always be the case.
                Software developer ?? If JAVA (or similar) jump into a £700 day role at canary wharf sit back and count your money for next few years

Comment

The moment i read the title, I knew it was by a hopeful hopeless newbie.

Why on earth would anyone pay for your UK based services, when they can get "ten a penny" like you based in India? And if they are looking for quality 2-3 like you based in EE.

What are you looking to promote if you have nothing special to offer to set you apart from the competition?

Comment

Password, hopefully you can gloss over the smart ass replies as being the work of the bored and under utilised.

That said, the routes to market for what we do, and how it is done, are fairly standardised. CVs, LinkedIn and a contact base. That also said, there is nothing stopping you from giving it a shot and proving us wrong. It might be something that could work for small jobs that don't require a 5-day week, six month presence. Things you could cover off in the evenings and weekends as extra jam after the bread is buttered.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X