• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote java position

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote java position

Hello, this is probably not right forum to post this, but i dont know any other IT workers forum, so maybe someone will help on here.

I am a java developer, finished top UK uni, working in top IB. I am feeling tired of London and banking and want to find fully remote java developer position paying 40-60k, work and travel in europe. I have sent applications to all remote positions i could find here in the uk, however no reply. My question is, are there remote java positions so competitive? What are my chances of finding one? Or do i need more experience first?

How much experience do you have?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sorry forgot to mention. 3 years total

Comment

Originally posted by freddy1777 View Post
        Sorry forgot to mention. 3 years total
        That's not really alot. You'd struggle contracting with that let alone 100% remote working.

Have you kept an eye on the job market to see how often these gigs come up if at all?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          That's not really alot. You'd struggle contracting with that let alone 100% remote working.

Have you kept an eye on the job market to see how often these gigs come up if at all?
          I’m searching for permanent positions at the moment. There is quite a few. Do you think i need more experience even for perm remote work?

Comment

Originally posted by freddy1777 View Post
            I’m searching for permanent positions at the moment. There is quite a few. Do you think i need more experience even for perm remote work?
            I don't know coding so not sure sorry. Some of our more experienced coders might comment but I'd want someone with more than 3 years to work unsupervised 100% of the time.

Comment

The problem with remote positions is that they can be done anywhere in the world. There are many skilled developers who live in countries where the cost of living is a fraction of yours - if you can't compete with them on price, then you need to get known by your reputation and use your network to get remote work.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                The problem with remote positions is that they can be done anywhere in the world. There are many skilled developers who live in countries where the cost of living is a fraction of yours - if you can't compete with them on price, then you need to get known by your reputation and use your network to get remote work.
                WMSS. You are asking for a high salary for a 100% remote position which can from anywhere. What do you have to offer that someone in Asia / Eastern Europe doesn't have, that will do the job for a fraction of that salary? Do you need to earn that much to follow your dream, or is that what the average (not top IB) permanent Java positions pay in the UK with 3 years experience, so you would like the same?

However, good luck with your search. Have you tried https://remoteok.io? Most positions are remote (given the URL, you'd expect them to be), so you might something on there.

Comment

Working...
                X