• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in switzerland , near lake Geneva, suggested rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in switzerland , near lake Geneva, suggested rates

Just had somebody try and tempted me to work near Lake Geneva

They have been a bit vague about rates, I have worked in Brussels and Holland before

Can anybody tell me what sort of rate I should be looking for ratewise , the job is mainly Oracle

Are there any unpleasant gotchas in the tax system ?

I assume that I would have to closed down my plc

A lot, lots, dunno

HTH

Been asked ad infinitum. These threads should help.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zu...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

800CHF per day upwards.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Rate at least €950 Lake Geneva area is extremely expensive even for Swiss understandings

Comment

Originally posted by Bheleu View Post

They have been a bit vague about rates, I have worked in Brussels and Holland before

Can anybody tell me what sort of rate I should be looking for ratewise , the job is mainly Oracle

You should be asking for 1000 CHF a day - And dont try to sleep in a car or caravan - I have heard some people try this and they get caught

Comment

I say 1200CHF a day to cover the cost of living, commuting there and back and inconvenience.

Comment

Check the cost of flights and hotels, assume roughly 65% take home, subtract hotel and travelling expenses from that and you have a good ball park figure.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Check the cost of flights and hotels, assume roughly 65% take home, subtract hotel and travelling expenses from that and you have a good ball park figure.
                So around 1400CHF?

Comment

Everything closes on a sunday

Originally posted by Bheleu View Post

Do you want to work in Geneva? That's the question that I'd ask myself rather than just looking at a daily rate. Would you enjoy the mix of cultures, the expensive environment, easy access into France should you wish to enjoy some good skiing when the season starts, and the fact that everything is closed on a Sunday! I went there recently and was surprised to find only one cafe open on a Sunday morning. If the anser is yes then perhaps look at finding decent lodgings in France and cross the border on a twice daily basis as this would be a cheaper option than staying in Geneva itself.
                  "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Rates have been driven right down over recent years, coupled with the strong Franc. Roles that would have attracted 1200 a day five years ago, are now often offered at 800, or even less.

Geneva is a bit of a hole, IMO, but further along the lake it's quite pleasant.

You can't work through your own private uk ltd. You need 20'000CHF in assets to open a Sarl., so you'll perforce go via a payroll (umbrella) company. Taxes are generally quite low as are your NI-equivalents. Prices (except electronics and some booze) are sky high.

Not everywhere is closed on Sundays - many cafés and restaurants have their rest-days on the Monday. General retail shops and supermarkets are close, but for most things you'll find them somewhere - family run businesses mainly and many of the larger petrol stations have shops attached to them. Locals know where to go in an emergency.

Perhaps not down south, but up here in the civilised part of Switzerland, there's a 24 hour emergency beer service.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X