• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HSBC Contract Start

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HSBC Contract Start

Managed to secure a contract with HSBC. But, i have been told there was an upgrade (HR System) happened and that screwed something which delays my start date. I have been delayed by almost 4 weeks. Anyone in the same boat?

Thanks

is that what the agency told you?

I can't say I'm inclined to believe that an IT system would result in HR not being able to start a new person for 4 weeks. What if it was a permie with a start date? They'd have to find a way for them to start.

Sounds like they just don't want you yet but the agent would rather lie than tell you how it is.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      is that what the agency told you?

I can't say I'm inclined to believe that an IT system would result in HR not being able to start a new person for 4 weeks. What if it was a permie with a start date? They'd have to find a way for them to start.

Sounds like they just don't want you yet but the agent would rather lie than tell you how it is.

Agent mentioned that they have a new thing called 'Live Staff Id' which is created to track the contractors. According to him, this is not getting created because of the glitch.

Comment

Keep looking for other roles. This one may fizzle.
        Or put your feet up and enjoy the rest of the summer.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Assume you've got nothing until you are sat at their desk on the first day. The agent will contact you if he needs you.

Carry on looking as normal.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had an interview with HSBC in Edinburgh and they move at glacier pace. CV submitted....wait a week....interview......wait a week....told I'd got the gig.....wait a week....official offer made

So it took them 3 weeks to get to the point of making me the initial offer. Then starts the screening. I was told this should take 3 weeks, but that the company doing the checks had a backlog, so it would take 4. So 7 weeks from start to finish. I was sent the contract as I got close to my start date and saw a clause that said I was only allowed to work 220 days a year and that this would be pro rata over my contract....so my 6 month role was actually only 5 as I'd have to take 4 weeks off. Even though they had farted about for about 7 weeks in getting me in. In the end I told them to shove it and got a gig with RBS. I started 2 days after the offer was made.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
              I was only allowed to work 220 days a year and that this would be pro rata over my contract....so my 6 month role was actually only 5 as I'd have to take 4 weeks off. .
              Eh? How does this work? Not seen this before. I'm also on 220 days but it just stops at 220 if I ever got to it. That would mean a 6 mother is a 6 mother but a 12 mother is a 11.5 er and some holidays... if you get me.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 22 August 2018, 15:56.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I'm also on 220 a day
                Poor bugger, you should upskill.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Poor bugger, you should upskill.
                  Oops. Busted. :

Comment

Originally posted by secontrator View Post
                    Managed to secure a contract with HSBC. But, i have been told there was an upgrade (HR System) happened and that screwed something which delays my start date. I have been delayed by almost 4 weeks. Anyone in the same boat?

Thanks
                    Currently at HSBC and it’s a fact, there is a new HR system. How much it is impacting your start date that’s unknown, although they should have told you onboard get takes about 6-8 weeks

Comment

Working...
                    X