• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next Ventures Terrible Contract Conditions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next Ventures Terrible Contract Conditions

Next Ventures is the worst recruiter, what I have come across in 25 years of my career. They were changing their statements on daily basis and the contract they offered was extremely discriminated and one sided against the employee.

After signing the contract they cancelled it two days before starting of the project when I had already resigned from my current job.

The funniest part of the problem was they refused even to pay for the notice period what was agreed in the contract leaving apart any other damages or compensation. I consulted different lawyers and they said nothing can be done since the contract is quite one sided.

I am just wondering if anyone else got the same experience with them or have similar review?
    Last edited by faisalsb; 29 August 2018, 20:29.

This isn’t unusual in the contract market. It’s not nice but not unusual. It’s up to you to read the contract and either negotiate bits out of it or choose not to sign at all.

Was this your first contract or was it permanent employment (as you’re referring to yourself as an employee)?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by faisalsb View Post
      The funniest part of the problem was they refused even to pay for the notice period what was agreed in the contract leaving apart any other damages or compensation.
      Agreed

Comment

Welcome to contracting. You are now in a client/supplier relationship which isn't a level playing field at all hence it being one sided. It's about the work you are going to do for them so it's all about you hence the one sided contract.

Contracts being canned at the last minute does happen. The risk of this rises exponentially with time so if you were on a one month notice it gives far too much time for the situation to change.

Not being paid notice is totally normal. As a contractor you are in a T&M contract. You get paid for the work you do. Period. You'll be surprised to find out they can also bin you on the spot even if they have a notice period. They just don't offer you work so you don't get paid. Effective instant dismissal even if the contract is running.

Forget all this compensation and damages rubbish as well.

If you are signing contracts you need to make sure you are understand IR35 and get your contract checked first as well.

The fact you've called yourself an employee us the rest shows you haven't understood contracting at all I'm afraid.

You might have a 25 year permie career but apart from the tech knowledge you've not really got anything now. You are a contractor now. You need to forget most of what you know of permie world and start again else you are going to trip over problems and get disappointed fairly regularly. You are a business now so need to start thinking like one.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 29 August 2018, 07:35.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OP sorry this happened to you but not being funny either a 25 year perm career is virtually worthless in the current contractor market.

Its all about rate, people skills & how much contractor experience you actually have. Agencies hold almost all the cards as well due to supply and demand (over saturated & lower demand). All you have is 25 years perm experience look immediately for another perm role it will be way easier to get that than a first time contract as most agents & end clients want experienced contractors who can start tomorrow & do most of the job from day 1.

Your experience is not uncommon either the end client either found someone cheaper, cancelled the project, resourced someone internally or the agency got someone better or much cheaper! This happens ALL the time in modern IT contracting you have minimal security or legal protection. Almost all agents are sales commission based & the vast majority have no IT experience or understanding so you are not dealing with peers to them its rate first then can they get you placed at the end client if the profit margin suits them. With few exceptions (keeping larger or historical end clients happy) this is exactly how they operate.

Good luck but even if you manage to secure another perm role it can take 4-6 weeks to pass their vetting requirements it sounds terrible but can you not ask for your old job back. Tell them you made a massive mistake & your sorry as that is better than waiting around weeks to start or even get another role. If you have a family to support & mortgage to pay I would strongly advise you do that ASAP its no fun living on savings & struggling to find another well paid job at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
            OP sorry this happened to you but not being funny either a 25 year perm career is virtually worthless in the current contractor market.

Its all about rate, people skills & how much contractor experience you actually have. Agencies hold almost all the cards as well due to supply and demand (over saturated & lower demand). All you have is 25 years perm experience look immediately for another perm role it will be way easier to get that than a first time contract as most agents & end clients want experienced contractors who can start tomorrow & do most of the job from day 1.

Your experience is not uncommon either the end client either found someone cheaper, cancelled the project, resourced someone internally or the agency got someone better or much cheaper! This happens ALL the time in modern IT contracting you have minimal security or legal protection. Almost all agents are sales commission based & the vast majority have no IT experience or understanding so you are not dealing with peers to them its rate first then can they get you placed at the end client if the profit margin suits them. With few exceptions (keeping larger or historical end clients happy) this is exactly how they operate.

Good luck but even if you manage to secure another perm role it can take 4-6 weeks to pass their vetting requirements it sounds terrible but can you not ask for your old job back. Tell them you made a massive mistake & your sorry as that is better than waiting around weeks to start or even get another role. If you have a family to support & mortgage to pay I would strongly advise you do that ASAP its no fun living on savings & struggling to find another well paid job at the moment.
            What utter piffle!

You don't even know if the OP has recently moved to contract work. Yes, the OP is mistaken in a number of key areas, but that doesn't mean he should run back to his former employer with his tail between his legs, nor does it mean he needs to "return" (if he indeed he is a former permie) to permanent employment.

Instead, he should dust himself off, put it down to experience, and find the next contract.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
              What utter piffle!

You don't even know if the OP has recently moved to contract work. Yes, the OP is mistaken in a number of key areas, but that doesn't mean he should run back to his former employer with his tail between his legs, nor does it mean he needs to "return" (if he indeed he is a former permie) to permanent employment.

Instead, he should dust himself off, put it down to experience, and find the next contract.
              Well there are a couple of pointers to his status. I very much doubt he's got 25 years a contractor, he says he's resigned from his job, he calls himself and employee and there is a large degree of naivety in the entire post so it's pretty safe to assume this is his first venture in to contracting and it's hit him hard.

You'll note the exact working UK Contractor used was 'can you not ask for your old job back.' so looked to me he was just offering the OP an option to get earning again. If he's got zero warchest and the prospect of no income for an unknown period of time it's certainly something the OP may have to consider.

I wouldn't have suggested it I don't think but it's far from utter piffle. It's a fair option to a situation we don't know and could be an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
                Agreed
                Why agreed? It's in black and white in most contracts that you don't get paid for work not done and damages?? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Why agreed? It's in black and white in most contracts that you don't get paid for work not done and damages?? Really?
                  I simply agreed that it was the funniest part of the situation. Well at least I found it funny.

Comment

@OP - Did you happen to join IPSE before signing the contract? If so, then you could be protected under the terms where the Agency breaks the contract?

https://www.ipse.co.uk/member-benefits.html
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X