• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency workers and paid holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency workers and paid holidays

Hi all, just need some advice regarding paid leave entitlement as an agency worker, I have been in the same position in the public sector for over 4 years and never had any paid holiday or bank holiday pay. Is this correct, my agency have never ever said to me that under AWR I should have paid leave the same as other workers? I have always been led to believe agency workers don’t get paid leave unti I read an article on AWR saying the opposite! Anybody know what I can or should do

Originally posted by Needadayoff View Post
    Hi all, just need some advice regarding paid leave entitlement as an agency worker, I have been in the same position in the public sector for over 4 years and never had any paid holiday or bank holiday pay. Is this correct, my agency have never ever said to me that under AWR I should have paid leave the same as other workers? I have always been led to believe agency workers don’t get paid leave unti I read an article on AWR saying the opposite! Anybody know what I can or should do
    Here are your rights as an agency worker https://www.gov.uk/agency-workers-yo...-agency-worker

The Citizen’s Advice Bureau says that you should have paid holiday, so I would contact them to see what help they can give you https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wo...-need-to-know/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wo...e-entitled-to/

And finally, look at what a union can do for you https://www.unison.org.uk/get-help/k...orary-workers/
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

How are you engaged by the client?

Nice article here about AWR dispelling all the myths. Might not help your situation but covers a lot of interesting topics.
      https://www.contractorumbrella.com/a...and_facts.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How are you engaged? Is it via your own Ltd, an umbrella, or directly on the agency's payroll?

If AWR apply, then you should get holiday pay.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          How are you engaged? Is it via your own Ltd, an umbrella, or directly on the agency's payroll?

If AWR apply, then you should get holiday pay.
          Thanks for all your replies, I am hired by an agency and have an umbrella company to pay me, I’m not a Ltd company

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, I am hired by an agency and have an umbrella company to pay me, I’m not a Ltd company
            Shouldn't your brolly be withholding some of the money for holiday pay? They are your employer so should you not speak yo them first?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Shouldn't your brolly be withholding some of the money for holiday pay? They are your employer so should you not speak yo them first?
              this ^^^^^

everyone I've ever worked with who was through an umbrella had their holiday pay covered by the umbrella. In some cases, on better terms than a permanent member of staff.

Speak to the umbrella.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Like this.

https://www.contractorumbrella.com/holiday_pay_old.html

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  That's how it normally works. But the PS IR35 reforms throw a slightly different light on things - if the PS client has stated that the role is inside IR35, then the rate advertised should be after 'employer' deductions, i.e. what you would expect to receive as a 'salary' if you were employed.

Most are not doing this - but they need to then be explicit that the rate advertised will be subject to those deductions.

So check what was advertised, what you signed, and ask - to quote an old friend "shy bairns get nowt".

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    That's how it normally works. But the PS IR35 reforms throw a slightly different light on things - if the PS client has stated that the role is inside IR35, then the rate advertised should be after 'employer' deductions, i.e. what you would expect to receive as a 'salary' if you were employed.

Most are not doing this - but they need to then be explicit that the rate advertised will be subject to those deductions.

So check what was advertised, what you signed, and ask - to quote an old friend "shy bairns get nowt".
                    Yeah but he's been there 4 years so surely he should have seen his holiday pay coming out before the reforms hit? How come it's taken this long to ask?

Comment

Working...
                    X