Turned up for first day, then had to leave Turned up for first day, then had to leave - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 25

Should post faster

I'm in the same position, was supposed to start Monday, then postponed to today, now postponed to next week.

Pacing around my house waiting to see if they're finally ready for me next week.

Nervous Newbie

Default It depends on your Contract

Well if you signed the default contract what you were offered from the recruiter then it's bad luck and as someone mentioned you can't bill them without signed/approved timesheet. I see a lot of such cases around and I am surprised to know why contractors don't negotiate the minimum number of hours per week clause to their contracts and they sound content with whatever recruiters offer them. If you had this clause in your contract then you wouldn't be asking this question.

In my personal experience it also depends on the end client, in one of my contract I couldn't start at the client location due to delay in security clearance after signing the contract and I was paid for more than 5 months while sitting at home. The client gave me access to timesheet application from home and I was simply claiming for all the time.

I would advise talk to the client that you must be paid for the waiting period otherwise you have to move on and find another contract.

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by faisalsb View Post
    Well if you signed the default contract what you were offered from the recruiter then it's bad luck and as someone mentioned you can't bill them without signed/approved timesheet. I see a lot of such cases around and I am surprised to know why contractors don't negotiate the minimum number of hours per week clause to their contracts and they sound content with whatever recruiters offer them. If you had this clause in your contract then you wouldn't be asking this question.

In my personal experience it also depends on the end client, in one of my contract I couldn't start at the client location due to delay in security clearance after signing the contract and I was paid for more than 5 months while sitting at home. The client gave me access to timesheet application from home and I was simply claiming for all the time.

I would advise talk to the client that you must be paid for the waiting period otherwise you have to move on and find another contract.
    That's definitely not the norm though I think. Niche skillset too?

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    I'm in the same position, was supposed to start Monday, then postponed to today, now postponed to next week.

Pacing around my house waiting to see if they're finally ready for me next week.
    In stead of pacing around you should really be looking for other contracts. In my experience any delay caused by the end client normally leads to no work at all. (except when it's delay waiting for background checks to come through)

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    In stead of pacing around you should really be playing golf or gardening
    FTFY

My last benchtime (2.5 months) was spent chasing contracts when I should have been relaxing. The next contract was from an old colleague so the entire time chasing was wasted. One of the hardest things to do as a contractor is to relax when on the bench. Especially as the OP is just suffering a delay.
    Caveat: assuming the warchest is suitable to allow relaxation.
    See You Next Tuesday

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    FTFY

My last benchtime (2.5 months) was spent chasing contracts when I should have been relaxing. The next contract was from an old colleague so the entire time chasing was wasted. One of the hardest things to do as a contractor is to relax when on the bench. Especially as the OP is just suffering a delay.
    Caveat: assuming the warchest is suitable to allow relaxation.
    Absolutely. Even after nearly 10 years of virtually end to end gigs and a healthy war chest I get jittery when being on the bench and seeing nothing on Jobserve in a morning when I first log on.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Absolutely. Even after nearly 10 years of virtually end to end gigs and a healthy war chest I get jittery when being on the bench and seeing nothing on Jobserve in a morning when I first log on.
    in another 10 years you'll have the hang of it

I have some benchtime starting next week due to budgetary issues. Client has said they'll have me back in a week or two. I'm determined to not look at Job sites for 2 weeks and get some decorating done.
    Client is pretty good. I've done all the preparation for the project. They need to do the project. I'm the best person to do it.... So I can probably chill...
    See You Next Tuesday

Nervous Newbie

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm back on site now and everything has been sorted.

Client was very apologetic and has agreed to reimburse hotel costs and move end date out by 3 days, so no real lose.

More time posting than coding

Quote Originally Posted by Cadbury View Post

Client was very apologetic and has agreed to reimburse hotel costs and move end date out by 3 days, so no real lose.
    Good result
    cant ask for more than that really.

Ddraig Goch

Quote Originally Posted by Cadbury View Post

Would have been better if they'd paid for the days sat not earning in the hotel :-)

I think I would have stayed one night then gone home though.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!