• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short contract in Qatar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short contract in Qatar

I am pricing a short contract (less than a month) in Qatar, what are the visa requirements and is there anything else i need to know?
    tia

Originally posted by dave66 View Post
    I am pricing a short contract (less than a month) in Qatar, what are the visa requirements
    Visas - Hukoomi - Qatar E-government

is there anything else i need to know?
    How to use google?

Comment

Wow. Way to go on your research. I'm sure it will go without a hitch.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

is there anything else i need to know?
        tia
        You are highly unlikely to find a decent pint of old peculiar whilst you are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          You are highly unlikely to find a decent pint of old peculiar whilst you are out there.
          ^ Quality advice that.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Your Visa Should Be Provided

Having worked in Qatar your visa should be provided by the company you'll be working for. You may have to undergo a medical/blood test as well - similar to Dubai/Abu Dhabi.
            Qatar is a beautiful place to work and live as an expat, the Islamic Museum if really good (and free), if you are going to be working in Doha then the Souq Waqif is a great experience, the horse racing is a good night out - no booze or gambling obviously. You can get booze in one of the many licensed restaurants and clubs but it's very pricey. If you end up staying longer than one month then you should get your booze license and can buy an allocated supply near to the Qatar airport. There is good golf at the Doha Gold Club - food and booze served as well. Petrol is v cheap if you are hiring a car.
            I found it extermely racist towards the Indian/Pakastani folk working there. The Qataris are not frightened of saying what they think.
            Shopping is very good, if you go on a Friday morning then most of the malls are empty during prayer times, but then are packed later in the day.
            What else.....quad biking and sand bashing in the dunes is great fun.
            Hope that helps.
            "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Originally posted by andyg View Post
              Having worked in Qatar your visa should be provided by the company you'll be working for. You may have to undergo a medical/blood test as well - similar to Dubai/Abu Dhabi.
              Qatar is a beautiful place to work and live as an expat, the Islamic Museum if really good (and free), if you are going to be working in Doha then the Souq Waqif is a great experience, the horse racing is a good night out - no booze or gambling obviously. You can get booze in one of the many licensed restaurants and clubs but it's very pricey. If you end up staying longer than one month then you should get your booze license and can buy an allocated supply near to the Qatar airport. There is good golf at the Doha Gold Club - food and booze served as well. Petrol is v cheap if you are hiring a car.
              I found it extermely racist towards the Indian/Pakastani folk working there. The Qataris are not frightened of saying what they think.
              Shopping is very good, if you go on a Friday morning then most of the malls are empty during prayer times, but then are packed later in the day.
              What else.....quad biking and sand bashing in the dunes is great fun.
              Hope that helps.
              No company will go through the trouble of visa processing for a one month work. They will expect you to deliver this on the 30 day tourist visa that UK citizens qualify for.

Yes the visa category is for tourism, but the practically on ground is different. If you've worked there, you will probably know - the same holds for their new BFF UAE. If it's longer period, they will go through the hassles of visa. But for short term delivery, they expect you to deliver on whatever visa you can sort out yourself, even if it means multiple trips to deliver a project.

And you are correct about the racism part.

Comment

Visa Reqts

Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
                No company will go through the trouble of visa processing for a one month work. They will expect you to deliver this on the 30 day tourist visa that UK citizens qualify for.

Yes the visa category is for tourism, but the practically on ground is different. If you've worked there, you will probably know - the same holds for their new BFF UAE. If it's longer period, they will go through the hassles of visa. But for short term delivery, they expect you to deliver on whatever visa you can sort out yourself, even if it means multiple trips to deliver a project.

And you are correct about the racism part.
                Good point but the OP should be aware that if she/he reach the 30-day limit on the tourist visa then he/she will have to go out of the country and come back in for a new 30-day to be stamped.
                I also read that Qatar were, in a similar way to the UAE, stamping down on people who were working on a tourist visa.
                "Hope your doing fine". My favourite opening line in emails from certain agencies! Not only the fact they can't spell, but who actually says that?

Comment

Working...
                X