• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A warning about the FOS contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A warning about the FOS contract

I know that many contractors intend to work hard and expect long hours at times, but for the sake of your well-being, avoid the Financial Ombudsman Service at all costs. The daily rate at £205.00 may look attractive, but when you take the tax rates, IR35, and the way FOS treats its contractors into consideration, you will hopefully realise that it isn't worth it.

If you don't believe me, all you have to do is take a look at the Glassdoor review. Not a single contractor has a positive thing to say about FOS, and I don't want other people to put up with what I have had to go through. We are all willing to put in the work, but the terrible training (2 weeks in total that doesn't even cover all aspects of the job), silly little rules that restrict the freedoms that self-employed contractors are meant to enjoy, and the inconsistent grading system means that you are always on edge. Nearly every day I would come across people crying in a corner or in bathrooms over getting another red case and potentially getting put on a performance plan. It is a system that sets people up to fail, and even when you're a person who can handle hard work, I am pretty sure that no one is who enters into the contract is signing up to be full of anxiety at work. A number of my friends work (or have worked) on the Coventry contract and apparently it is even worse than London (which is pretty bad).

I was pushed into resigning early, and it was a real weight off my shoulders. I scanned the internet to see if there were any websites that potential FOS contractors could go to in order to learn about the true nature of that contract, but I couldn't find anything. I decided to open a thread on this forum so that people could at least be warned before making their decision to work there.

If you have any questions about this contact, don't hesitate to ask. Other FOS contractors are free to make a contribution to this thread as well.
    Last edited by Eunomia; 19 September 2018, 06:26.

I’m sorry, but for the avoidance of doubt, no experienced contractor would consider £205pd a good rate. Generally anything less than £300pd is a poor rate.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I’m sorry, but for the avoidance of doubt, no experienced contractor would consider £205pd a good rate. Generally anything less than £300pd is a poor rate.
      Fair point; this contract tends to attract young people who are fairly new to contracting (perhaps graduates with a couple of years of experience, as I was). To them it is a good rate when compared to what some perm jobs pay. They are constantly interviewing people so there are enough out there who find it attractive. I just wanted to let them know what it is really like before diving into it. After all, it is not the only Financial Services contract out there so there are other options.

Comment

In my post in another thread, if you are inside IR35, £100pd will get you just over a living wage (£7.38 ph). So at £200pd I doubt if you’ll be earning more than £15ph - expect to get approximately £140pd in you bank account after taxes (£700pw).

And that’s before your description that sounds more like a fixed term contract, not what we would call a ‘proper’ contract.

Get your self a proper contract with an agency that’s just an agency, not a body shop.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          In my post in another thread, if you are inside IR35, £100pd will get you just over a living wage (£7.38 ph). So at £200pd I doubt if you’ll be earning more than £15ph - expect to get approximately £140pd in you bank account after taxes (£700pw).

And that’s before your description that sounds more like a fixed term contract, not what we would call a ‘proper’ contract.

Get your self a proper contract with an agency that’s just an agency, not a body shop.
          I will never enter into another one of those "contracts" again after my experience with FOS. A lot of people don't realise upon entering into it that what they take home really isn't worth it when considering what they are being asked to do (being pushed to their limits at work and continuously being threatened early termination). It is set up in a way that they get to impose the same restrictions on you that they impose on perm staff, but don't even have to give you the job security and benefits that perm staff enjoy. I do intend to go into proper contracting after a few more years of experience in my field of study. Too many graduates are being duped and entering into arrangements such as these that only exploit them.

Comment

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very pleased that you are posting this here. I just wanted people reading this to know that those kinds of contracts are not normal, actually they are rubbish.

Comment

Generally anything less than £300pd is a poor rate
              Depends on the sector. Doubt many get that in engineering.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Depends on the sector. Doubt many get that in engineering.
                Seriously?

I'm in engineering and wouldn't get out of bed for that sort of rate.
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                  Seriously?

I'm in engineering and wouldn't get out of bed for that sort of rate.
                  I think he meant like a PC engineer or the one that changes the paper in the photo copier

Comment

Coming across people in bathrooms??!!

Originally posted by Eunomia View Post
                    this contract tends to attract young people who are fairly new to contracting (perhaps graduates with a couple of years of experience,
                    Experience of what?
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X