• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not allowed to give notice?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It is.

And I don't always interview.
    Yes, probably for clients for whom you have previously done work.

Tell me. Exactly how many clients, whom you have never previously worked for, have both known who you are and are willing to engage your services, without interview, on the strength of your reputation alone?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
      Yes, probably for clients for whom you have previously done work.

Tell me. Exactly how many clients, whom you have never previously worked for, have both known who you are and are willing to engage your services, without interview, on the strength of your reputation alone?
      Just 3. Out of 6....
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Moving between clients without interview becomes easier if the personnel that are doing the hiring are also moving between those clients. Particularly if they are contractors too and you had a good relationship with them while in the same 'working away from home during the week' boat.

It may be a merit based form of nepotism but that's what networking is all about.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Just 3. Out of 6....
          And within those 3 clients there was no person (either staff member or other contractor) with whom you had had any previous dealings?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
            And within those 3 clients there was no person (either staff member or other contractor) with whom you had had any previous dealings?
            FFS. Of course there was. It's about reputation. You need to know people.
            Not sure what planet you're on that makes you think you can treat customers like tulip and it never come back to you. It's a small world.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I suppose you can send a sub?

Comment

Just 3. Out of 6....
                I haven't had an interview for a contract for 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  I haven't had an interview for a contract for 7 years.
                  I'm guessing you don't breach your contracts very often?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I'm guessing you don't breach your contracts very often?
                    I don't have contracts. My company does.

Comment

FFS. Of course there was. It's about reputation. You need to know people.
                      Not sure what planet you're on that makes you think you can treat customers like tulip and it never come back to you. It's a small world.
                      Knowing people directly isn't what we're talking about here. Once you've worked with someone, and done a good job, it's a given that they'll consider you again for future work. But that doesn't get you the very first gig, when you're unknown to the client, does it?

Here, we're talking about the kind of reputation that precedes you. Like the reputation within business of companies like IBM, SAP, Microsoft, Oracle, Accenture, Tata Consultancy Services et al. Companies that will have their services engaged by clients without said client directly knowing anyone, personally, within the company.

Have you ever been so engaged?

Comment

Working...
                      X