• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day Rates Down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    Hmm, heading into BI is much different to software development, I know some really good BI devs that don't know how to program at all, although their SQL skills are insane.

Not really sure what I'm gonna do tbh. Will investigate these niches but probs only permie work would get me good at them
    For BI up north, you're better off in a perm role based on my experiences. Average £350 at 40 weeks per year and you're looking at £70k. Compared to a, say, £50k per job for an experienced senior developer or £60k for a BI Architect and with the benefits, development and redundancy buffer, it doesn't seem worth it compared to the days of £400 v £40k.

For London, you're looking, as a more senior/experienced contractor, at comparing £550 to £90k based on the adverts that I saw late 17/early 18 - I've not needed to look at the market since Feb. Again, not that favourable unless the tax breaks can kick in properly for you, but there's also the "pound of flesh" factor if you take a VP or more senior role in a bank.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
      Hmm, heading into BI is much different to software development, I know some really good BI devs that don't know how to program at all, although their SQL skills are insane.

Not really sure what I'm gonna do tbh. Will investigate these niches but probs only permie work would get me good at them
      I'm not convinced any of what you've mentioned are considered niche.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I'm not convinced any of what you've mentioned are considered niche.
        The niche factor in BI comes with the tools. MS BI stack certainly isn't niche, no doubt about it.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
          Really? How many agencies do you think recruit Tier 2 visa workers?
          There are Indian "agencies" that rely on Tier 2 intra-company transfers to recruit them. Their Indian HQ recruits them there and then ships them to their UK-based subsidiary to work in the UK. The baseline rate might seem market-based, but the agency provides them with housing etc and take that off their rates, making it closer to £225 than £500.

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
            Ive notices a number ob BA roles that have really low rates...300 or below. But also quite a few on the £300 - £375 range (London) So they must be cofident that they will get takers at these low rates. Who's taking them? If you live in London, its a pittance.
            There has long been an oversupply of BAs, which is pushing rates down. A year ago I was recruiting for a good BA (direct on Jobserve, not via an agency). Aside from the 20+ calls from agencies wanting to sell me their expertise services (indicating that I don't know anything about hiring), I also received more than 200 applications from BA's, around 25% of whom actually fulfilled the requirements stated in the advert. Still a lot.

For a hirer, it's usually not about finding the absolutely best. It is about finding the one who can provide precisely those skills and experiences required at the lowest possible rate. Asking for more than others just because the applicant's experience goes well beyond the requirements doesn't work.

So yes, there are probably people accepting those rates as it is better to get something than nothing, faced with the stiff competition among BAs.

Comment

Working...
            X