• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving contract early

A few months in my current contract, it's a very decent gig and interesting project. However, got another one offered for 20% more because my niche skills is rare on the market.
    Should I take it?

Originally posted by Syd View Post
    A few months in my current contract, it's a very decent gig and interesting project. However, got another one offered for 20% more because my niche skills is rare on the market.
    Should I take it?
    Yes take it. There will be a few on here who will say you shouldn't as it will harm your contractor career, but it really doesn't. Have done it several times

Comment

Originally posted by Syd View Post
      Should I take it?
      There are two types of contractors in this world. Those that complain about other contractors jumping ship from one gig to the next for extra $$$. And those that jump ship from one gig to the next for that sweet, sweet extra $$$. Don't be the first type.

Comment

I've been contracting for 10 years, and I am currently considering leaving a gig for the first time ever as it sucks so much.

Still can't bring myself to do it.....yet!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          I've been contracting for 10 years, and I am currently considering leaving a gig for the first time ever as it sucks so much.

Still can't bring myself to do it.....yet!
          What are you waiting for? a gold star from the client for meekly tolerating their b*llsh!t?

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
            What are you waiting for? a gold star from the client for meekly tolerating their b*llsh!t?

Have you always been a bell end?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Have you always been a bell end?
              Nah, - he's been a ballpoint for a while too

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post

You sound like my missus!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

You sound like my missus!
                  I can tell you he doesn't.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I can tell you he doesn't.
                    Mrs NLUK begs to differ. She can make them both scream like Ned Flanders.

Anyway, back on topic.

I'd say that it depends on how big the niche market that you operate in - is it small enough that you'll become know at all key clients and agents as a contract breaker?

Having a word with the agent for the current gig is probably suicide - it will simply alert him to advertise your position and get you binned off from the client anyway.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X