• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lloyds restriction on contract role if previously employed in previous six months

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lloyds restriction on contract role if previously employed in previous six months

Hi - just wondering if anyone has heard of LBG not considering you for a contract role if you have worked with them in the last six months?

I didn't renew my most recent contract with LGB which ended at start of September. Finished up because the role wasn't best fit for my experience.

Different agent called me about a role on a programme I worked on recently for a few years but came back to say it was a no-go because I just left the bank.

A colleague was told a similar story so guess it's for real.

On the other hand I noticed I was asking £50 above the agents advertised rate...

I left LBG on very good terms. Last time around they offered longer extension than usual and choice of projects so think my reputation is sound. Trying not be paranoid... 🤔

Originally posted by countryboy View Post
    Hi - just wondering if anyone has heard of LBG not considering you for a contract role if you have worked with them in the last six months?

I didn't renew my most recent contract with LGB which ended at start of September. Finished up because the role wasn't best fit for my experience.

Different agent called me about a role on a programme I worked on recently for a few years but came back to say it was a no-go because I just left the bank.

A colleague was told a similar story so guess it's for real.

On the other hand I noticed I was asking £50 above the agents advertised rate...

I left LBG on very good terms. Last time around they offered longer extension than usual and choice of projects so think my reputation is sound. Trying not be paranoid... 🤔
    Are you sure the agent doesn't want to put you forward because the other agency would still have ownership for 6 months?

might be worth speaking to your last agent and see if he can represent you?

Comment

Am I the only one thinking if you'd gone in at advertised rate there might have been a completely different outcome?

I'd expect the client has a rate card and the choices the agent has is to swallow the rate from his commission (not going to happen) or he gets in to a protracted discussion asking the client for more money when he's got a pile of CV's happy to accept the advertised rate (not going to happen).

See what I am getting at?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
        Are you sure the agent doesn't want to put you forward because the other agency would still have ownership for 6 months?

might be worth speaking to your last agent and see if he can represent you?
        Good point thanks. Previous agent provided a waiver so don't think that's the issue. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Am I the only one thinking if you'd gone in at advertised rate there might have been a completely different outcome?

I'd expect the client has a rate card and the choices the agent has is to swallow the rate from his commission (not going to happen) or he gets in to a protracted discussion asking the client for more money when he's got a pile of CV's happy to accept the advertised rate (not going to happen).

See what I am getting at?
          Absolutely! I told him this was my 'usual' rate. He didn't give any indication my rate was a deal breaker. In fact if he had tried to negotiate a lower rate I had some wiggle room. I only realised I was higher when I came across his advert on jobserve. Cheers

Comment

Absolutely! I told him this was my 'usual' rate. He didn't give any indication my rate was a deal breaker. In fact if he had tried to negotiate a lower rate I had some wiggle room. I only realised I was higher when I came across his advert on jobserve. Cheers
            I'm guessing this was in response to them asking 'what rate are you on' or similar? I tend to give a range, slightly higher than normal and add I'm flexible depending on the role, location etc. Usually end up towards the lower range which is what I was after anyway so everyone is happy.

It could be you've picked someone that's both particularly dense even for an agent and someone more cut throat than usual. He's not appreciated the fact you are flexible, just taking your answer as verbatim and he's got a desk full of cheaper guys so CBA to go back and negotiate.

I could be wrong and it could be you've just left or the handcuff issue (which I'm not so sure about). It just seems a bit easier for an agent to say you can't go back rather than you're crap or you are too expensive.

You've got nothing right now so you could possibly go back and say you'd take what you've seen in the advert hoping the period hasn't closed or just move on as we often have to.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

At JPM it is 6 months for a contract role. One year for a permanent role.

Comment

BP has something similar in place. I think it has something to do with redundancy regulations.

Comment

Well if you left on good terms then just go direct? Get back in contact with the manager that way you get your rate plus agent fees. Sometimes the clien prefers direct as the hiring process is reduced

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I'm guessing this was in response to them asking 'what rate are you on' or similar? I tend to give a range, slightly higher than normal and add I'm flexible depending on the role, location etc. Usually end up towards the lower range which is what I was after anyway so everyone is happy.

It could be you've picked someone that's both particularly dense even for an agent and someone more cut throat than usual. He's not appreciated the fact you are flexible, just taking your answer as verbatim and he's got a desk full of cheaper guys so CBA to go back and negotiate.

I could be wrong and it could be you've just left or the handcuff issue (which I'm not so sure about). It just seems a bit easier for an agent to say you can't go back rather than you're crap or you are too expensive.

You've got nothing right now so you could possibly go back and say you'd take what you've seen in the advert hoping the period hasn't closed or just move on as we often have to.
                    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                    At JPM it is 6 months for a contract role. One year for a permanent role.
                    Originally posted by Contractor101101 View Post
                    BP has something similar in place. I think it has something to do with redundancy regulations.
                    Thanks for all replies. I spoke direct to the agent. He states the advice came from the agents relationship manager. Quizzed him on rates and states they are putting forward people at 60 -80 below my rate. I would be flexible on rate but know from experience this is a tough project so not happy to work for what agent will offer.

Have gone back to the crew that placed me on the previous project as they are fine with absorbing my rate. No guarantees they can place me but am fine with sitting on the bench a little longer

Comment

Working...
                    X