• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking a day off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by checkerman View Post
    Anyway I informed the client I wouldn't be in and also the contract stipulates I inform the agency. I did not inform the agency the reason why. I had emails and voicemails asking me to explain why I wasn't in from the agency.
    Sounds like he did inform the agency that he was going to be, but not the specific reason why.

Which would make this an even more stupid situation to be in.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Sounds like he did inform the agency that he was going to be, but not the specific reason why.

Which would make this an even more stupid situation to be in.
      It's the bolshiness in him.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        I never bother informing the agency of anything - once I'm on site I deal directly with the client, as generally the agency don't care.

But, if they've kicked off - well, they're right, aren't they - the contract is between you and them. Hardly a big deal.
        This.

Been contracting for ten years and never informed an agency of anything - sickness or leave.

Pretty sure my contract says to inform client within a 'reasonable time', too.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Contract notwithstanding, it's generally the working practices that drive who I inform. Most gigs have minimal agency contact once I'm in place so I don't bother keeping them informed of non-chargeable days. They just care my approved timesheet matches my invoice.
          This.

As long as my timesheet matches that's all they care about.

Comment

Nah I never tell the agent. As long as client is happy.....
            If agent had phoned me and wanted more of an explanation than "ill" I'd have told them to do one.

Did have one agent who insisted I get them to agree to days off. I said no I will sort with client, but I will inform you when Im off if you like. Umm OK they said. So first time I take a week off, sorted with client, email the agent to let them know. Response comes back "yes I can authorise that". Jeez ok I'll let it go.....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I would let agency know out of courtesy. To be honest I am only ever telling the client out of courtesy as well considering I am working for myself

EDIT: saying that you mention it was in the contract - well its no longer a courtesy... you should of told them

The clue is in the phrase "contracting"

I have never had this in a contract myself.
              Last edited by dx4100; 11 October 2018, 15:54.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                I would let agency know out of courtesy. To be honest I am only ever telling the client out of courtesy as well considering I am working for myself

EDIT: saying that you mention it was in the contract - well its no longer a courtesy... you should of told them

The clue is in the phrase "contracting"

I have never had this in a contract myself.
                yeh, - coarse he should of!

Comment

Originally posted by checkerman View Post
                  Ok I know I'm being a bit pedantic about this but I didn't go in to work one day because of dreaded man flu. yes I know as a contractor you have to be on deaths door to take a day off!

Anyway I informed the client I wouldn't be in and also the contract stipulates I inform the agency. I did not inform the agency the reason why. I had emails and voicemails asking me to explain why I wasn't in from the agency.

They said because I work for them I have to give a reason. So this is where my bolshiness kicks in. I know out of courtesy I should and in fact I did tell the client, but am I really under obligation to say why?

I don't necessary have a problem with it, but there may be times where you may not to say why.
                  Must be my age but when I get a bad cold/flu, I feel like death so I just take the time out because I know I'm not going to be up to speed & my performance will drop off. More likely to struggle in if I'm on a Mon-Fri nightover type contract & my accommodation is paid up for the week though

Comment

Originally posted by Unai Emery View Post
                    Must be my age but when I get a bad cold/flu, I feel like death so I just take the time out because I know I'm not going to be up to speed & my performance will drop off. More likely to struggle in if I'm on a Mon-Fri nightover type contract & my accommodation is paid up for the week though
                    You wouldn't happen to be from the south would you?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      You wouldn't happen to be from the south would you?
                      Oi! I resemble that remark

Comment

Working...
                      X