• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contractor car insurance claim

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I had a shunt recently and I was asked about the purpose of my journey.

Many insurers charge no extra for business cover, so it's possible that they will allow it?

I agree with others - don't lie, it will only come back and bite you.
    I've never been asked, but I've only had one insurance claim and I had business cover (the basic one for pre-booked appointments only).
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

So it seems I should be prepared for the worst by sticking to the truth.

How does claiming expenses for travel and rental affect my case here. I guess its irrelevant as the commute is a business related commute anyways- even if it wasn't directly to the client site but to a temp residence.

Comment

OP I had someone go into the back of me when doing a journey like yours a few years ago. The insurer paid out as I had class 1 business insurance. They even allowed me to get a larger rental car because I was doing motorway driving and carrying business equipment. (A laptop)They sorted the case quickly because it was a clear cut case of she was wrong.

Then unfortunately a delivery vehicle hit my empty parked car. (Same year, different location and different contract.) This time the insurer took longer but because I had a witness they paid out though this time they took their time as I didn't need a hire car.

One thing you must not do is lie about your accident. If you get caught from then on you will either automatically be turned down or find your policy canceled for any insurance.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by HardCop View Post

How does claiming expenses for travel and rental affect my case here. I guess its irrelevant as the commute is a business related commute anyways- even if it wasn't directly to the client site but to a temp residence.
          If you tell the truth, it doesn't affect your case.

My question about expenses for travel was to help you see that it was a business trip, it wasn't S/D/P.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            If you tell the truth, it doesn't affect your case.

My question about expenses for travel was to help you see that it was a business trip, it wasn't S/D/P.
            I haven't yet claimed any expenses. My accountant is to blame here. I plan to do it . Or should I just not claim expenses it if it helps the insurance claim.

If the insurance claim is rejected would I need to pay for the third party repairs as well if its proven to be my fault.
            Last edited by HardCop; 16 October 2018, 13:06.

Comment

I haven't yet claimed any expenses. My accountant is to blame here. I plan to do it . Or should I just not claim expenses it if it helps the insurance claim.

If the insurance claim is rejected would I need to pay for the third party repairs as well if its proven to be my fault.
              If you are expensing it through the company then it's business travel, not commuting.

If you can expense but don't bother then it's still business travel.

What you actually with the expense claim has little bearing on what the purpose of the journey is and I'd imagine the insurance people are pretty adept and finding out.

No. The insurance has to pay 3rd party costs article further down thread mentions this.. but don't worry about that yet. Put the claim in, be honest and succinct but don't give them chapter and verse. If they don't ask the right questions then it's their problem. If you give them too much information so they can change their decision or you lie to them then it's yours.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 16 October 2018, 16:22.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Almost all policies cover commuting - are you sure yours doesn't?

The expenses thing is relevant if you are trying to differentiate between ordinary commuting to a regular place of work, and business travel to a temporary location. You would not be able to claim expenses for the former.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  WTF???

But your "ofifce" is normally you're home address. And travel to client is business especially if you're claiming mileage which is a bit of a giveaway here!

Insurer WILL see it this way too. You're talking bollacks.
                  No I'm not - I'd stake my Advanced Chartered Institute of Insurance membership (ACII) on it.

100% what the OP has described does not come under Class 1 business use. At worst, this is an omission to declare commuting, which would not stand a test with Financial Ombudsman to reject a claim in normal circumstances and from the information provided.

I worked as a motor underwriter (and more specifically, determining whether policies would be declared void from inception due to fraud and non-disclosure) for many years - insurers are not as quick to refuse claims as many would have you think.

For starters, since the Consumer Insurance Act of 2013, the insurer would have to prove that the non-disclosure in this case was malicious or deliberately dishonest. The fact OP doesn't commute daily, and their daily commute is not in a car, is sufficient to suggest at worst this is an innocent misunderstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
                    100% what the OP has described does not come under Class 1 business use. At worst, this is an omission to declare commuting, which would not stand a test with Financial Ombudsman to reject a claim in normal circumstances and from the information provided.
                    I'm really surprised you see it that way, and so black and white too. If the OP was an employee working for a consultancy, being sent to a customer site - would you feel the exact same way?

It's a genuine question, because when I first became a permie consultant the first thing I did was get business insurance. I had a commute to my companies office, and then I'd drive all over to various customer sites (and hotels etc)

To me, that's exactly what OP is doing just like we all do.

Comment

Originally posted by fiisch View Post
                      100% what the OP has described does not come under Class 1 business use. At worst, this is an omission to declare commuting,
                      I don't believe this. This article discuss it. The OP is carrying out travel thats wholly and exclusively for the purpose of business so can't be a commute. HMRC's definition of temporary locations also backs this up
                      Contractors’ Questions: Do I need business use for my car insurance?

OP. Have a look at this article. It appears I've made a mistake and the insurer will pay out the third party costs. I'd imagine this is a pretty important point for you so my apologies.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X