• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying for your own background check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying for your own background check

I've been offered a new contract and have been asked to pay for my own Experian background check. It's 54.99.

I've always worked in Finance and so have always had to go through these checks, but never have I had to pay for them myself.

Is this new or have I just been lucky so far?

I've had to pay my own Disclosure Scotland check but not a credit check. It was peanuts so just got on with it.

Buy it for that and charge them £100 for a copy.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I've had to pay my own Disclosure Scotland check but not a credit check. It was peanuts so just got on with it.

Buy it for that and charge them £100 for a copy.
      I have paid 10.00 for Disc Scotland once in the past, come to think of it. But never for any others.

"..we have to conduct all the background checks on your limited company and your company has to provide a background check on its personnel (i.e. you)".

Never heard this before.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
        I have paid 10.00 for Disc Scotland once in the past, come to think of it. But never for any others.

"..we have to conduct all the background checks on your limited company and your company has to provide a background check on its personnel (i.e. you)".

Never heard this before.
        On one hand it kinda makes sense. There has been many an argument that we shouldn't have to give our passport details over and out company has deemed we have the right to work, like the big boys do so guess it's along those lines.

On the other I'm not sure what it's going to prove. Not sure what your company is gonna do if you've got a really bad credit report though lol. I guess it's just a tick for the agent that they've done their diligence even though the exercise is pointless.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Lloyds Banking make you pay for your own. Its £50 comes out of your first payment as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
            I've been offered a new contract and have been asked to pay for my own Experian background check. It's 54.99.

I've always worked in Finance and so have always had to go through these checks, but never have I had to pay for them myself.

Is this new or have I just been lucky so far?
            How much is the gig worth?
            you're a contractor, aren't you??

Comment

File it away ....one more thing to show Hector if he comes hunting. Bet they don’t make perms pay for their own.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                How much is the gig worth?
                you're a contractor, aren't you??

I get that. And of course, I don't disagree. But, like anything that is suddenly different it's good to get opinions from your peers.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  Lloyds Banking make you pay for your own. Its £50 comes out of your first payment as well.
                  Not only that but they mean nothing. Jimmy Savile would have passed.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Not only that but they mean nothing. Jimmy Savile would have passed.
                    Exactly but try telling the people who run these departments! Also many of the Traders & other senior banking figures would fail these checks but they turn a blind eye to that otherwise they would not have any staff! Although now & again when they want to get rid of someone you can bet the checks are mysteriously performed suddenly...

Comment

Working...
                    X